Royal Icing In A Yogurt Cup...

Sugar Work By MamaChrisNow Updated 8 Sep 2015 , 1:31pm by -K8memphis

MamaChrisNow Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 15

I want to make "melted snowmen' for my daughter's Frozen birthday party. The pics I have found are of a small cup of vanilla yogurt, with chocolate chip buttons, a candy corn nose, two piped chocolte arms, and two royal icing eyes. I thought it was cute and a healthy thing, though rather labor intensive. I can make the royal icing eyes, but I'm worried they will just immediately dissolve when sitting on top of the yogurt.

Has any one ever tried something like this? Am I heading into a super time consuming mess? Thanks for any input!

14 replies
pastrypet Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 15

Could you post a link to a picture of what you are describing?

MamaChrisNow Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 15

So this is along the lines of what I was thinking. It's likea little yogurt cup with snowman pieces sitting at the top to look like a melted snowman. I think candy corn will be fine, but I am worried that when I drop little royal icing eyes on top, they will just melt and be scary looking.

MamaChrisNow Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 15
MamaChrisNow Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 15

ooook, i tried twice to attach an image with no luck. here is a hyperlink...

Click Here...Melted Snowman Yogurt Cup

geekycakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 15

Royal icing eyes, fully dried, won't dissolve quickly.  Eventually, but not quickly.

I might add them on the day of the party.  To be safe, don't do something like adding them the night before and covering the whole thing to hold the humidity in!

Also, little eyes like that are commercially available if you want to save yourself some time!

Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 15

If you use candy melts there won't be a melting issue.

jchuck Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 15

Why not use just large'd achieve the same result with very little effort and mess.  

ropalma Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 15

Those look like the eyes that Wilton sells.

MamaChrisNow Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 15

Well marshmallows don't really look like eyes, and regardless of weather I make or buy the eyes they would be facing the same problem. I think I'll make the eyes ahead of time so they dry out well. Then I'll drop them in the yogurt cups as they are served. Thanks for the feedback!

jchuck Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 15

I didn't explain myself properly. I meant use a large marshmallow for the body, then add candy for eyes, arms etc.

geekycakes Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 15

jchuck, I think the point here is that you're feeding kids yogurt, not sugar.

jchuck Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 1:22am
post #13 of 15

Ah...I see. A healthier option. Ok, I get it now. 

MamaChrisNow Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 15

I thought I could add an update incase anyone was interested in how it turned out. I bought the pre-made Wilton candy eyes. They held up about 4 hours before getting watery, and I'd say they lasted about 6 hours before turning to complete liquid. I made the yogurt cups at the last minute, and I think it worked out very well.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 1:31pm
post #15 of 15

very cool thanks so much for the update 

those are so cute  love the healthier emphasis too

Quote by @%username% on %date%