Strawberry Preservative Suggestions Please

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 31 May 2015 , 8:42pm by SoniaMT

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 31 May 2015 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hey guys...I am making a cake this week and originally wanted to use fresh strawberry filling. However, they will be picking up Friday and won't eat it till sat afternoon . They will not be able to refrigerate it. I was wondering what type of strawberry preservative jams do you guys use for your fillings. I have never used any. The cake is a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache icing with a whipped cream filling mixed with the strawberries. I was hoping there was something out there with actually chunks of strawberries rather than just the jam. Any suggestions or recommendations on type or brand? Thanks!

4 replies
SoniaMT Posted 31 May 2015 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 5

Oops..I mean butter cream not whipped. Originally it was going to be whipped but again since they won't be able to put it in the refrigerator I would rather use butter cream. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 31 May 2015 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 5

I've used freeze dried strawberries in baked goods as well as pulverizing and adding to buttercream and it does add a fresh strawberry taste.  I don't know how it would be to add chunks to buttercream though.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 31 May 2015 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5

http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-filling-10045

This filling is easy,  nice and thick and tastes great. I use it all the time.  Tastes fresher and less runny than using jam.   Because it is cooked and has no dairy, should be fine.   You can control how big the chunks are, but if too big, makes it harder to cut.  

SoniaMT Posted 31 May 2015 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys these are all great ideas. @yortma thanks for the recipe! I will give it a try. looks delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%