Sanding/coarse Sugar

Decorating By Jenna217 Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 2:03pm by TheresaCarol

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 31 May 2015 , 2:46am
post #1 of 5

I'm going to be making a 5-tier wedding cake.  Each tier will be ombre going up with the lightest tier on the bottom and the darkest tier on top.  It'll be shades of pink.  The bride wants sparkle on it.  Is it better to use sanding sugar or coarse sugar?  And...would it look better to use pink sanding/coarse sugar crystals or do I use white sugar...and if the white, will it be transparent enough to show the buttercream shade of pink underneath?

TIA!!

4 replies
Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 31 May 2015 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

*Bumpity bump* ;)

TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 31 May 2015 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5

Not really sure if white or pink would work better, but check out this link on making your own sanding sugar colors...I've done this a bunch when decorating cookies, then you can control the pinks for each tier...a tip, I spread my sugar out on a baking sheet and put in my oven with just the oven light on, it helped dry it out so it wasn't sticky.

http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2012/01/make-your-own-sanding-sugar/

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 5

i make colored sugars all the time, all i do is put regular sugar in quart bags, and add the paste color that i want,  i knead the color all the way thru.. add more if needed, then i seal the bag and run a rolling pin over it to make it fine sugar. open the bag let it breathe a few hours and its all dry and ready to use. i love making it and experimenting with colors.  hope this helps.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 5

I think using the coarse sugar would give it more of a textured sparkle.  Is it possible for you to do a trial run on a smaller scaled to see if the colored buttercream would come through the white sugar?  I think I would color my icing and coordinate the colored sugar to go on top so that I have strong color throughout.  I would be afraid the white sugar would get swallowed up by the colored icing.  Unfortunately, I have experience with that using sanding sugar.  The white does not look white for long in the darker colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%