How Soon Can I Bake B4 I Add Fondant.

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 30 May 2015 , 10:44pm by Jinkies

SoniaMT Posted 30 May 2015 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I have a cake that needs to be ready by Friday afternoon pick up but the party isn't going to be till Saturday afternoon.  I don't want to leave everything to last minute since I have a lot going on this week. Can I bake the cake on Tuesday and wait till Thursday to frost and cover in fondant?  IF so do I need to refrigerate the cake for it to be ready to be picked up on Friday. The party is on Saturday. Any suggestions? I don't know how long cake will stay fresh. The cake is going to be a two tier chocolate cake with raspberry cream filling, and oreo cream filling. THanks!

3 replies
jmt1714 Posted 30 May 2015 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 4

I would likely bake/fill/frost/fondant on Tuesday then put it in the fridge. 

SoniaMT Posted 30 May 2015 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 4

Will refrigerating the fondant ruin the décor on it? Im making a frozen cake and I will be putting snow flakes on the fondant I don't want them slipping off. And should I have her refrigerate it Friday night or will it be safe to stay out from Friday to Saturday afternoon. im thinking of just doing oreo cream filling that way I don't run the risk of the raspberry jam going bad.

Jinkies Posted 30 May 2015 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 4

If I were baking the cake on Tuesday, I would freeze it until I was ready to work with it on Thursday. Otherwise, definitely leave it in the fridge. 

You can put the decorated cake in the fridge, it will not hurt the fondant.  It may sweat as it comes back to room temp but it will dry.  Just don't just touch it until it's dry or you will leave fingerprints.  I've never had fondant attached to fondant fall or slide off before. If anything, the condensation will make it stick more.

Oreo filling or raspberry jam are both fine on the counter.  It's only fresh raspberries that would need to be in the fridge.  Jam has a lot of sugar in it that acts as a preservative. If it's really hot in the clients home and the cake has smbc under the fondant, refrigerating would be optimal.  Just tell her to take it out a couple hours before the party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%