Does This Frosting Need Refrigerated?

Decorating By katiesand Updated 31 May 2015 , 1:27am by AAtKT

katiesand Posted 30 May 2015 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 6

I found this frosting and I'm curious if it needs to be refrigerated.  I don't normally put buttercream in the fridge, but I've never added fruit in any form to it before.  

Raspberry Buttercream
from Sammyw

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar

1. Cream together the butter and raspberry jam. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until desired sweetness and consistency is reached.

5 replies
SoniaMT Posted 30 May 2015 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 6

Hello, if the raspberry jam is jarred it means it should have preservatives in it so you should be fine with out refrigerating it. If you were using fresh raspberries though I would say refrigerate. = ) hope that helps

cakesrock Posted 30 May 2015 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 6

I would always refrigerate buttercream, unless it's only for a few hours...It's the butter that needs refrigeration. Precisely why I prefer not to use buttercream (rather, I use a shortening based icing). 

katiesand Posted 31 May 2015 , 12:34am
post #4 of 6

Thank you!

jmt1714 Posted 31 May 2015 , 12:43am
post #5 of 6

I get why for health codes, selling food, etc.that buttercream would be refrigerated, but I leave butter on my counter at room temp. It's not like it goes rancid THAT quickly. 

AAtKT Posted 31 May 2015 , 1:27am
post #6 of 6

For home use I have butter on my counter (in a butter dish) all the time... When it is used up, I wash the dish and stick another stick or two on it...  It would take so long for it to go bad, I never worry about it... Have had the same stick out for up to two weeks and it still is fine... 

With added sugar, it is even less likely to go bad...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%