Would You Hire A 15 Year Old Teen?

Business By Llama_Bean Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 2:53am by 2kats

Llama_Bean Posted 30 May 2015 , 3:27am
post #1 of 13

Just what it says on the tin. I'm asking because I love baking, and my dream is to one day work at or own a bakery. It would be amazing if I could work at one, even if it was only washing dishes or the like. Plus, bills are getting tight and the extra money could be the difference between eating and going to bed hungry. 

Just asking a general consensus on hiring teens, and why you feel the way you do. 

12 replies
Bogginboy Posted 30 May 2015 , 3:42am
post #2 of 13

Technically speaking it's easier to learn new skills while you're younger so there's a plus for you and being nineteen myself I don't think I could give the best opinion on that but you might could get hired in a grocery store bakery if you have one near you and work your way up to a real bakery

johnson6ofus Posted 30 May 2015 , 4:50am
post #3 of 13

Most commercial insurance policies will not cover anyone under 16. No bakery can have you working there and not have insurance. 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 May 2015 , 5:20am
post #4 of 13

Generally speaking (I used to work in hospitality and trained up the new staff that came into our business) people who have no previous experience but possess common sense and are willing and able to learn are a great asset to the business,

They can be trained to your businesses ways far easier than someone with a lot of experience who does not want to do things in the same way (or a way that you see as beneficial) that your business runs.  

So if you have common sense and are driven to do your best there is no reason someone wouldn't take you on, especially as you are willing to start at the bottom and work your way up, just make it clear where you would like to end up when you put in your resume and work hard once you get in to a job to demonstrate your willingness to do whatever needs to be done :-) 

All the best.

810whitechoc Posted 30 May 2015 , 9:19am
post #5 of 13

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 3 hours ago

Generally speaking (I used to work in hospitality and trained up the new staff that came into our business) people who have no previous experience but possess common sense and are willing and able to learn are a great asset to the business,

They can be trained to your businesses ways far easier than someone with a lot of experience who does not want to do things in the same way (or a way that you see as beneficial) that your business runs.  

So if you have common sense and are driven to do your best there is no reason someone wouldn't take you on, especially as you are willing to start at the bottom and work your way up, just make it clear where you would like to end up when you put in your resume and work hard once you get in to a job to demonstrate your willingness to do whatever needs to be done :-) 

All the best.

Totally agree, I have a junior girl still at school who only works Saturdays, she is very keen to learn, will have a go at anything (today I had her making modelling chocolate ladybugs), she has a good attitude and I can only see her getting better with experience.  What do you have to lose by trying? A lot of people will say no, but you only need to come across somebody like me to get a YES, and who knows you could be on the way to achieving your dream.

embersmom Posted 30 May 2015 , 11:12am
post #6 of 13

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 6 hours ago

Most commercial insurance policies will not cover anyone under 16. No bakery can have you working there and not have insurance. 

This, unless you, the 15 year old, would be working "under the table".  If your employer is discovered doing that, then crap will really hit the fan.

We're not allowed to hire anyone under the age of 18 as per our company's insurance.

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2015 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 13

15 year olds have much stricter regulations under which to work set by the state/federal governments  - they are therefore not worth the trouble -

810whitechoc Posted 30 May 2015 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 13

I'm guessing you must have different laws than we have, it is legal for me to hire the girl I have working for me.  Just goes to show, as with anything it all depends on where you are and what your local laws are as to what advice is best for you.

johnson6ofus Posted 31 May 2015 , 12:49am
post #9 of 13

810... are you in the US? There are federal laws that regulate 15 year olds. So, if you are US based, yes, they do apply:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/childlabor101.pdf

Biggest problems are:

".....MAY NOT Be Employed in........: 13. ALL BAKING AND MOST COOKING ACTIVITIES...."

"Fourteen- and 15-Year-Olds May Not Be Employed: ......2. BEFORE 7 a.m. or AFTER 7 p.m. ......3. MORE THAN 3 HOURS A DAY ON A SCHOOL DAY, INCLUDING FRIDAYS. "

Debbie45628 Posted 31 May 2015 , 12:50am
post #10 of 13

I would have loved having one like you when we owned our bakery...had a couple that were around 18 or 19 and both were very good and there according to the schedule....I had a 12 year old relative that worked for us at a pizza restaurant and did the phones/order taking, had a wonderful telephone manor and was so personable that we still say she was one of the best employees we ever had...

810whitechoc Posted 31 May 2015 , 7:54am
post #11 of 13

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 7 hours ago

810... are you in the US? There are federal laws that regulate 15 year olds. So, if you are US based, yes, they do apply:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/childlabor101.pdf

Biggest problems are:

".....MAY NOT Be Employed in........: 13. ALL BAKING AND MOST COOKING ACTIVITIES...."

"Fourteen- and 15-Year-Olds May Not Be Employed: ......2. BEFORE 7 a.m. or AFTER 7 p.m. ......3. MORE THAN 3 HOURS A DAY ON A SCHOOL DAY, INCLUDING FRIDAYS. "

No, Australia

costumeczar Posted 31 May 2015 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 13

It would depend on the teenager and the work ethic they showed. If I hired someone regardless of age and they were late to work, slacked off, did the minimum required etc I wouldn't be happy. If you go to work for someone make sure to show up on time (or early), work hard and have a good attitude and you'll be successful wherever you are.

2kats Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 2:53am
post #13 of 13

My first job, when I was 16, was at a bakery as customer service help, order taking, packaging, etc. I learned a ton just by watching the bakers and they were happy to teach me some basic skills. They eventually let me work on a few of the basic cake designs. Now, 20 years later, I own my own cake business. It is definitely worth trying as long as you are willing to do other basic tasks, not the baking and decorating. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%