Ingredients I Can Take By Airplane?

Decorating By descovy Updated 29 May 2015 , 5:25am by johnson6ofus

descovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
descovy Posted 29 May 2015 , 3:32am
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

I am volunteering at a camp, and we will be flying there.  I rarely ever fly.  So I am unsure what items will survive the pressure, etc...  For example I have heard of people packing bread for lunches on vacation, but the bread dries out in flight.  Also worry about icings & coloring exploding!

As volunteer, I have to offer 1 hour per day of activity, so I am going to do cupcake decorating.  I expect I will have to go to the store when I get there.  But whatever I can pack ahead of time will be less stress.  I'm flying Southwest and can check my luggage.

Will these items survive the trip?

Cake Mix,

Canned icing,

Americolor squeeze bottles of color (planning to buy new so its sealed)

M&Ms, Oreos, Gumballs

Any other tips you can give me for packing cake decorating items?

1 reply
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 May 2015 , 5:25am
post #2 of 2

No problem as I have traveled with all that stuff. :)  Southwest is great because you get free luggage (2 pieces, like the good old days...lol) I just pack anything with liquid in an extra ziplock in case anything seeps out, but it is normally NOT a problem. All liquids (food color) need to be checked.

Prep as much as possible ahead of time! Soooooo much easier. If the cookies need to be chopped, do it at home. Make ahead decorations are extra fun---- royal icing is your friend. Premake icing and color it, and ziplock it (much better than the canned stuff!). Room temperature is fine, and it will easily survive the trip. 

Unless you get some great sale at home, you might just plan your shopping trip at the location. Why would you haul cake mix if every store carries it? Write a careful list, and get it all at the grocery when you arrive EXCEPT the items you are premaking, or prepping. 

A cheap pack of fondant generates LOTS of make ahead and dry decorations. The girls go crazy for the butterflies...;) I would rather haul (carry on!) a plastic shoebox filled with special treats or make ahead decorations that worry about cake mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%