Advice For Purchasing An Edible Image Printer

Business By WhimsyCakes Updated 27 Oct 2015 , 7:21am by llebeaux

WhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhimsyCakes Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 9

Just wanted to offer advice for anyone considering purchasing an edible image printer. It is a very costly investment (I spent well over $500) and I have had nothing but trouble.

I wish I had been able to find advice when purchasing mine but there was nothing relevant out there.

Here is the most important factor you should consider! - - If you are a home based business owner and do not anticipate using your printer AT LEAST ONCE PER WEEK, don't do it!! Take your images to Walmart to print or order your images printed online.  I ordered my printer from Icing Images and while they have been kind to offer technical support more times than I care to admit over the past 2 years I still have not been able to get my printer to print properly. Ever. 

I have followed every piece of advice to the letter yet today when I go to reinstall the ink cartridges (they tell you to remove them and place in a zip lock bag w/ a moist paper towel if you will not be using for a while) my printer will now not work AT ALL!?!  After what feels like my 100th call to Icing Images I am finally told after exhausting all efforts to get machine working, that I should order another printer head (to the tune of over $100 and no, they don't carry those- that's a separate company) and "if that doesn't work", I ask? Then you would need to order a brand new printer............   This thing has been used a handful of times and never well enough to use on a cake... and they want me to buy a new one!!!!!!?!!!!!!

My most sincere advice is this:  if you will not use this printer every day DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!  This was a $500++ learning lesson I hope no one else will have to go through. 

8 replies
SCCB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCCB Posted 30 May 2015 , 3:35am
post #2 of 9

Great advice and I agree 100%!  My son gifted me an edible image printer a couple of years ago for mother day (Canon wide printer).  If I let it sit too long without using it, the silly thing prints wild colors and streaks!  My usual routine is to do a cleaning, then a deep cleaning and another final cleaning of the print head and this will finally get it clear enough to make out the image.  All of the cleaning and deep cleanings eat up the ink quick and you know that costs a bloody fortune.  I have considered selling edible images to folks to use on their own cakes just to keep the ink flowing so it is ready to use when I need it. 

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 30 May 2015 , 3:51am
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for posting this, I was considering purchasing one, or asking for one for my up coming b-day. I'll stickto ordering online/walmart.

cloud9bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloud9bakery Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 3:30am
post #4 of 9

I have an edible image printer, and I love mine! I haven't had any trouble with it... I can refill my own cartridges, and it has been awesome!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 11:38am
post #5 of 9

I love mine too, but I use it on a daily basis. They'll definitely clog up if you don't use them a lot because the food coloring "inks" can't have the chemicals that prevent them from blocking up the print heads added to them. If you're not going to use it a lot just go to a grocery store like @WhimsyCakes  says, it's much easier that way.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 9

Advice we give our customers....if you are not going to use it, don't buy it!  An edible printer wants to be used in order to be happy.  Our inks are amazing, however, again, if you don't use it, it will be prone to clogging.  We recommend about once or twice every week to two weeks with our inks.  We have customers that stretch it much longer and are fine, but again, we dont recommend it.  One thing to remember that you do not have to only use an edible printer for pictures.  We designed a web based program called iDesigns which has so many cool features, but basically it is a collection of over 1600 different images that are all licensed for edible use.  It can print seamless boards, it can print designs for cupcakes, you can print designs and use them with the electronic cutters, DECOgel or even the Sweet Accents.  These designs are great for accenting a cakes, ribbons, bows, flowers.  You can print on our amazing Premium Icing Sheets which are flexible and can be used in so many areas, or even on our new Premium Wafer Paper which is colored and flavored.  Bottom line, this helps to allow you to print more regularly.  If you don't think you are going to use the printer, print out a popular pattern so your maintaining your printer but also producing something you can use.  You can always print out something on regular paper, I do have customers that do that as they found their edible inks are priced competitively with there non edible ink so they use their edible inks for every day printer.  Caution though, edible inks are not made to last indefinitely so don't print your taxes on them!!

SCCB printing for others is a great way to maintain your printer.  Also, if you print for your competitors, you are always getting a piece of their business!!!  Icing Images started that way many many years ago by printing for area bakers! 

Also remember Icing Images offers a pay per print program and you can order what you need printed and we ship it to you.  You can design your image on our site and it uploads the order to us.  We print it and ship the high quality you would want for your images.  That way you can also keep track of how much you are printing, and when you see that you are printing regularly, it will be more cost effective to purchase your own printer!

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will be glad to help you!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for.the advice everyone. It's cool how icing images gives useful advice. 

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks LittleJewel, but if I didn't share the knowledge I have, then what good would it be? Thanks so much, let me know if you need anything

llebeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llebeaux Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 7:21am
post #9 of 9

I have a question....I was considering ordering the Cannon MG6620, but would not use it on a weekly basis.. probably monthly or bi-monthly. I pay $6.99 for a sheet of 12 non-licensed right now. How would I order from  Walmart on line, or in store? I did not know they printed edible images? I am mainly interested in the 2" sugar circles for cookies. Also what is the cost? Thanks for the advice about use. Every forum I have read states the same thing, if you are not using it on a weekly basis, don't spend the money. I appreciate the honesty.

*Last edited by llebeaux on 27 Oct 2015 , 7:21am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%