Business Apps

Business By cbyerika Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 12:15pm by SandraDee73

cbyerika Posted 27 May 2015 , 3:15am
post #1 of 17

im wondering what apps you may be using for your iPhone and/or kindle

im looking for something to keep track of dates, orders, payments and balances etc. I'm really not sure what to even search for. Thank you! 

16 replies
BakerBlackCat Posted 27 May 2015 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 17

I use CakeBossCloud.  It's internet browser-based, so I can access it on my iPhone if necessary.  I just hate typing on an itty bitty screen, so I only use the mobile version if necessary (read: can't get to my Mac!).

It's great for tracking invoices, product costs, payments, etc.  It will take some time sitting down with it and inputting everything, so hopefully you've got a larger-than-a-smartphone sized screen for the initial work!

CrossgatesCakes Posted 31 May 2015 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 17

Baker Black Cat... I've been looking at investing in cake boss cloud, and was wondering if you can add cake prices without having to use the ingredient calculator aspect of it? Also does it allow you to add other non ingredient expenses to the accounts internet and advertising costs etc? thank you xx

Jinkies Posted 31 May 2015 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 17

Not Baker Black Cat..... but I have CakeBoss Cloud also so I'll butt in :)

No, you do not need to use the ingredient calculator if you don't want to.  I didn't at first, just because I did not have all my recipes/ingredients in the system yet.  It also has a section for materials like cake boards,dowels, etc.  I use that now because I like to see what the cake actually cost me even though I already have a general idea.

I also keep track of all my business related expenses like my website, advertising, licensing, ins, etc.  There is even a place for mileage tracking for deliveries and such.  You can print out a report that shows all your expenses broken down into categories.  The nice thing is that you can add your own categories so you can get as elaborate as you want to.

The best thing is the invoicing with the paypal module, LOVE that.  There's a one time fee and you can take credit/debit cards or paypal over the internet (although paypal does take a little %).  Just email the client your invoice and they can pay right away.

Hope that helps!

BakerBlackCat Posted 31 May 2015 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 17

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party! :)  (That'll teach me to go to the movies, lol!)  Hi Jinkies! <waves>

There are two systems you can use: Add-A-Line-Item and Packages. 

Add-A-Line-Item: the first is created directly within the invoice, and I think is best used for a custom order.  You create the line item, indicate how many servings, then add costs from two categories - recipes (I use this for everything food-based, so cake, frosting, fillings, etc.) and materials (non-edibles, so cake boards, SPS stuffs, decorations, etc.).  Then you add in estimated/actual hours spent (you input what you're paid per hour), as well as overhead costs.  CBC then calculates the overall price, the cost and price per serving, and indicates (based on what you've got in inventory) an "Out-Of-Pocket" cost that would cover any items/ingredients that you would still need to purchase.  This function sets a price that is driven by the costs of ingredients/materials/overhead/hours needed.

I only use this function for large custom orders.

Then there's the Packages function: similar to the Add-A-Line-Item, you create a product - say a 6" Chocolate Cake.  Add the cake formula, the frosting, and the filling to the Ingredients tab; then add cake boards, boxes, ribbons, stickers, labels, etc. to the Materials Tab.  This function allows you to set a price that is not dependent on the costs, so the  6" Chocolate Cake will invoice at whatever dollar price you set.

I use Packages for my "regular" day-to-day cakes that don't change.  When I sell one of these Package cakes, they're always the same, nothing different.

Like Jinkies, I track my business expenses (mileage, profit & loss, revenue, expenses) through CBC.  The only thing I haven't figured out so far is creating balance sheets and income statements in CBC, but I simply put those together myself using info generated from my CBC reports.

It does take a lot of set-up at first.  You may have to manually enter in the price of every ingredient that you use (I buy in bulk every chance I get, and it seems as thought the costs that come with CBC are based on buying ingredients one-at-a-time at the most expensive grocery store on the planet), and that does take time.  But I've managed to make this part of my routine, and spend a day each week inputting my data, and then generating all my reports at month end. 

I find it to be a somewhat clunky software, but I certainly wouldn't want to run my business without it!  HTH!!

CrossgatesCakes Posted 31 May 2015 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 17

Thats very helpful, thanks guys xx

CrossgatesCakes Posted 31 May 2015 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 17

Id be looking to use it mainly for order tracking and expenses, rather than pricing up the job as I make wedding cakes mostly, which i price mainly on the time estimated to decorate and deliver... so just a bit hesitant about the pricing part... whether its kind of going to get annoying if i HAVE TO use it to make the rest of it work..if that makes sense? x

Jinkies Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:05am
post #8 of 17

Hi BakerBlackCat! <wavin back at ya>

I know what you mean, CrossgateCakes.  The first order I used it for I simple opened the order, put in 1 serving @ $xxx.  If you don't use the ingredient calculator, it would be pretty simple.  It does track your orders, puts them on your calendar, alerts you to when their payments are coming due or past due and will alert you on the homepage of any orders that are due that week.  It also keeps a running tab showing your revenue for that month.  I've played a little with the reports but I haven't had it long enough to say how good they would be for tax reporting purposes although they look good so far.

BakerBlackCat, have you done taxes using the reports yet?

CrossgatesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:12am
post #9 of 17

Thanks Jinkies.... I only need very basic results as I do my returns on a cash account basis, which is the simplest form in the UK, basically need a final profit figure derived from expenses taken from profit... but the records need to be kept accurately in the mean time! I used to use Awesome Note for iPhone and iPad which was fantastic..but its not available on Mac :( so I need to rethink my customer order organising set up with calendar with notes and images etc...I use Money Control app for finances which is pretty good be happy as i was if Awesome Note would cross platforms to Macs!! x

BakerBlackCat Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:13am
post #10 of 17

I have used CBC for tax year 2014, and I used the following reports: Expenses (by category, which I used to generate a very basic income statement), Revenue, Profitability, and Mileage (deduction).  I hadn't been in business for all of 2014, so the calculations were pretty simple.  Basically I set up a spreadsheet, and fed it the categorized totals, made sure the YTD totals all matched, and shot it off to my accountant.  Filing for this year will be slightly more complicated as I have more expenses (depreciation! insurance! eeek!) now, and I have to find a new accountant (totally unrelated to CBC though!).

BakerBlackCat Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:15am
post #11 of 17

CrossgatesCakes, it sounds like CBC may work out for you....and I can attest that is *does* work with Macs! (as she types on her MBP...)

CrossgatesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:20am
post #12 of 17 a "MBP"? x

BakerBlackCat Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:21am
post #13 of 17

:) MacBook Pro! 

CrossgatesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:27am
post #14 of 17 only using a MBA then... lol x

Jinkies Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:28am
post #15 of 17

I agree, I think it would work out as well.  Let us know what you decide. :)

CrossgatesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 11:41am
post #16 of 17

I think I might give it a go, as they do offer a 30 day money back guarantee... so whats the harm? It might be just what I need?! x

SandraDee73 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 12:15pm
post #17 of 17

Just popping in to give Cake Boss Cloud my vote! I LOVE it!! Well worth the money. :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%