Wedding Cupcake Question

Business By epiquerianmb Updated 30 May 2015 , 6:03pm by canacake

epiquerianmb Posted 26 May 2015 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

I have an order for 700 cupcakes for a wedding coming soon. Any advice on how I can store/ transport this many cupcakes? What size box should I get?

5 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 26 May 2015 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 6

Are you in a professional kitchen with lots of fridge space, or working from home?  Does your icing need refrigeration to help set, and if so, can your fridge cope with such.  

Do you have wagon or a sedan?  You will definately need a wagon or commercial type flat bottom little van for that kind of quantity.

Are your cupcakes part of dessert/cake or as bonbonniere, therefore needing individual boxes?

What cases will the cupcakes be in - paper, wraps or baking cups?  Paper needs boxes with inserts, card wraps & baking cups can often not need inserts, so you can fit more per box.  Buy cupcake transport boxes that work out cheapest per cupcake.  In my case, I found pretty display boxes that carried 8 each cheaper than 12 each, but boring kraft cardboard boxes that carry 24 & 48 each.  Make sure they are high enough for the cupcake decoration - 4" is safest.  Do not try to make do with random boxes - that kind of order needs a professional approach.  Build it in to your price.   If the boxes are for transport only, then ask for them back and recycle the clean ones for next time.

johnson6ofus Posted 27 May 2015 , 5:20am
post #3 of 6

700 standards or 700 minis?

I LOVE these "under bed" storage totes.

Lay in no skid drawer liner (dollar store!) and pack them in there. Only 6" high so little wasted space. Depending on the size and the decorations, you can get LOTS in there!

Google "under bed storage" and see what options you can get. $10-$12 per box that can hold up to a hundred, stack, seal and be safe is the best bet!

Bonus- wash them and you got great new storage at home... :)

epiquerianmb Posted 27 May 2015 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the advice! I am a home bake with 2 fridges soley for my business. I was able to freeze over 300 in ziplock bags and I now have lots of room left. I would like to get boxes large enought to accommodate at least 100 cupcakes at a time. In that way, I can easily transport them. I do help hired hands, so I feel confident that this will go smootly.

epiquerianmb Posted 27 May 2015 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 6

Oh! These are 700 standard sized cupcakes. 

canacake Posted 30 May 2015 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 6

700 is a lot of cupcakes! I did 200 for a friends wedding and got cardboard boxes and inserts. It was great because the table couldn't hold them all and the caterer could put more out as needed with the additional boxes in the back and the bride and groom could save the leftovers and take them home if they have boxes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%