Transporting Cake

Decorating By brun Updated 29 May 2015 , 11:42pm by kakeladi

brun Posted 26 May 2015 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 4

I am transporting a simple cake 2 hours to my sons wedding.  I am worried about the frosting that is between the layers of the tier cracking so you can see cracks on the outside frosting in the middle of the tier.  Does anyone have experience with this.  I plan to use buttercream frosting with meringue powder, shortening and powdered sugar.

3 replies
carolinecakes Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 4

I do not use meringue powder in my buttercream, I use Sugarshacks Recipe, so I'm not sure if this wil be of any help.  Recently I had to transport a 2tier (8" & 10") all buttercream cake. It was a 45 min drive. I kept the cake stacked in the fridge, it went from there to the car AC on.

I used SPS system for support and boxed the cake in a new moving box. Placed a non skid mat inside the box and then placed the cake on that. Place another non skid mat (from the dollar store) on the folded down seat  in the back, placed boxed cake on that.  The cake arrived in tact. We drove carefully but not at a snails pace. HTH

Magda_MI Posted 28 May 2015 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 4

When time permits, I fill and crumb coat my cakes, then let them settle overnight before adding the final layer of icing.  That helps reduce the odds of them settling later or during transport, which can cause the icing to crack.

kakeladi Posted 29 May 2015 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 4

Meringue powder is totally Unnecessary.  It does little to nothing in buttercream icing.    Unless you use tons of it there should be no problem with your icing cracking - it depends on how dry the icing is.  Add an extra couple Tablespoons to 1/4 cup of shortening per batch and you should be good to go.   You want the icing to be creamy not dry or wet/sloppy :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%