Advice On Sculpture Cakes

Decorating By Xochiquetzal Updated 27 May 2015 , 5:35am by carolinecakes

Xochiquetzal Posted 26 May 2015 , 7:00am
post #1 of 13

Hi my friend is having a small gathering and asked me if i could make a pit bull sculpture cake, i was wondering if anyone has and helpful links tips etc on doing this. am pretty good at sculpting however never applied it to a cake. how would i hold up the head.what would be the best material to work with ? sculpting chocolate or fondant? 

12 replies
carolinecakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 13

I'm a hobby baker and by no means an expert. My first 3D cake was a Cheetah Cake I made for my grandaughter. I used a small ball pan for the head and used fat bubble straws to attach to the body. The cake was all buttercream and held up very well for a 30 min drive to the venue. Others use rice crispy treats for heads, weight issue. Most use ganache and fondant, better stability, but since my cake was for the kids and I was new to fondant at the time i stuck with BC. Lovely Tutorials have excellent instructions and pintrest. Here's a link to a talented CCer, HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2306056/3d-dog-cake

carolinecakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 13

Here's a look inside the Cheetah Cake, sitting on all fours.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3341361/cheetah-cake

carolinecakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 13

In terms of carving the cake. I used serrated knives, I bought 2 sizes ( 1 small/ 1 medium) by KUNN RIKON. I use these exclusively for carving now, they were great. Crumb Coat and Carve your cake cold ( I left mine overnight in the fridge), a little at a time, its easier to subtract than to add. That said I did mess up the nose and had to do some patch work, but you could not tell. Just stuck some cake scraps with BC. Like I said I'm not a professional, there are very realistic cakes covered in fondant and airbrushed. Gotta get me one of those. I would love to see the finished cake. Good Luck.

MinaBakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 13

Look at this video of this dog cake being carved out. It's in fast forward but it's pretty useful and free! 

Xochiquetzal Posted 26 May 2015 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 13

Thank u so much! i love ur cheetah :) The dog am to do is a pit bull Bully which are very muscular therefore i think the pit bull should be standing! and am not sure how to construct a solid base for the pit to hold up. Do u have any suggestions on that? if not i would probably make him sitting on his back legs but even then the chest would stick out and i fear the cake will collapse.  

MinaBakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 13

With the right support, it should not collapse.

MinaBakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 13

Also found this photo slideshow on a standing poodle:

carolinecakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks. Hmmm standing....... you would need to build a special support / frame for the body (which would be the cake) the legs would be rice kripsie treats. Think of a small table like structure, the body would sit on the table top, the belly and legs would be RTK. The frame would be screwed into  (via the legs) to a masonite board. Does that make sense?  The head would be RKT too i think,weight issues. Someone on here did a diagram for a  goblet cake, similar concept for a top heavy cake. Jason or Dough I think.

As for the sitting on hind legs, screw a wooden dowel ( the height so you can attach the head also) into a masonite board, place your layers through, use foam core cake boards for every 3 layers. That's what I did for a bottle cake. Fondant over a thin layer of BC. It held up no problem including a 45 min drive to venue.

carolinecakes Posted 26 May 2015 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 13

Here is the link, apply that idea to 4 legs.  Thanks Doug!!!! HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1420084/wine-glass-cake

Xochiquetzal Posted 26 May 2015 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 13

carolinecakes  OMG i understand perfectly thank you!

MinaBakes  Thank you soon much!

Both of you have been of the up most help I can hug you both :) 

Xochiquetzal Posted 27 May 2015 , 4:38am
post #12 of 13

OK! WHAT CAN I USE TO MAKE THE DOG FUR? PIT BULLS ARE NOT FLUFFY SO WHAT SUGGESTIONS DO YOU LADIES HAVE?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%