Fondant Order - Help With Timing On A Big Cake

Decorating By ADDBaker Updated 26 May 2015 , 7:10am by Janese

ADDBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ADDBaker Posted 26 May 2015 , 5:44am
post #1 of 2

I'm doing a cake that's much larger than anything else I've ever done. Plus I have to deliver it over an hour away.

I'm concerned about a couple of things. First, my last fondant cake dried out overnight before we used it. It looked ok the next day, but I was concerned about it tasting ok and/or crumbling.

Also, I am prepping each cake layer a different day (I also have a day job which makes it necessary to spread out). I'm nervous that the layer I do first will be dry (cake) or soggy from the filling?

I have heard that it will dry out in the refrigerator...just trying to figure out what best practices to follow with this. 

Right now, my projected timeline is as follows:

Tuesday prep icing for crumb coat and damming.

Wed thaw largest layer (Put in refrigerator)

Thurs thaw med/small cakes. Crumb coat and ice innner layer of large cake

Friday ice second cake...and maybe cover in fondant.

The cake is DUE Saturday and I'm also attending the wedding, which is over an hour away from where I live. So I'd like to do as much as possible before that. 

tips or advice for keeping this fresh?

Oh, if it helps, the large cake is a white sponge cake with strawberry pie filling, and the other two are red velvet. cream cheese frosting filling. But they will both be dammed and coated with Edna De La Cruz's icing recipe (www.designmeacake.com).

And due to time constraints, I'm using Satin Ice Fondant.

1 reply
Janese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janese Posted 26 May 2015 , 7:10am
post #2 of 2

Hullo.  I have done this cake baking and delivering for some years now and have not had  any major problems.

Your largest layer with the filling.  I tend to ganache as much as I can white or dark chocolate. Including the top layer of the cakes that have the filling in.  The cut insides.  Stops the soggy layers.  Don't over fill.  Let each cut layer dry in the fridge so the ganache drys hard. It softens later on but not to the extent that it sags or is soggy.  Place your filling on top of the ganache, keeping a good distance from the sides (overfilling) Again set in the firidge. Place the top layer on. Ganche the whole layer. Leave this in the fridge for up 3 or 4 days. Then  the day before the wedding or even 2 days ice your cake.  Red velevt and cream cheese frosting keep well for days.  Cakes that are well covered in ganache and in the fridge do not dry out.  Wedding cakes from shops are made up to a week and fridged, including the filling.  I do find that crumb coating drys things out.  I also would  make a sugar syrup and brush this on your cakes as well, it seals the cake and gives an added flavour, before icing them.  Fondant can be fridged and if sealed correctly will not dry your cake out.  As the cakes sit in a room for some hours before eating they will come to room temp, this is what you want it to do. Obviously you will not stack the cakes till you arrive at the venue. I hope this helps you.  Jen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%