Need Advice: Cake Size

Baking By New2CakeIndus Updated 26 May 2015 , 2:23pm by -K8memphis

New2CakeIndus Posted 26 May 2015 , 1:51am
post #1 of 5

A new client has requested a cake for 70 people and wants each piece of cake to be 2"x3". I was thinking of offering a 14" square or 12"x18"...do you think that will work or should I offer a 16"sqaure or 24"x18"? Also trying to determine if it should be 2" in height or 4" in height.

Thanks in advance for your responses. 

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 26 May 2015 , 4:37am
post #2 of 5

I think that should be 2" x 3" x 2" high.  4" would be huge!  If you do the math you would need a 24" x 18" to get 72 pieces.

johnson6ofus Posted 26 May 2015 , 5:50am
post #3 of 5

2x3 by what? if it is a sheet cake, 2" high, then that equals 12 square inches.

If it is 4" high, then that is 24 square inches (like PBlady---HUGE!)

Standard "wedding" serving is 1x2x4....8 square inches. Is it the shape of the serving, or just that it be a little larger? The client is probably thinking "sheet cake', 2" high and just wants bigger pieces. I would go by the Wilton charts for 105 servings, which is the wedding serving of 8 square inches but 50% larger, so 12 square inches per serving. 

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Looks like 14" square (4"high)  would only give 65 of her jumbo servings; 16" square(4"high) would be 84 jumbo servings. 

12x18x4= 72 jumbo servings (only 36 if 2" high) ,     24x18x4= 144 jumbo servings (or 72 if 2" high)

*** Instruct the client that the servings need to be cut 1.5"x2x4 (high) to get her jumbo pieces, rather than the 1x2x4 standard. 

New2CakeIndus Posted 26 May 2015 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your guidance - really appreciate it.

-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2015 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 5

great stuff, pastrybag lady and johnson6ofus

also here's a great cake calculator called  a cakulator - it's a couple columns of sizes you just plug in some check marks -- and decide on the size of the serving on the top of the page

but if you are charging you need to charge according to your serving size which should be the traditional size -- when someone orders a celebration cake it's not like when you bake a 9x13 and cut it in half for two teenage boys who then still fight over  who gets the bigger slice --

this lady should not be setting your serving size and it sounds like she's doing it by how it 'sounds' rather than by how much it really is 

http://capitalconfectioners.com/cakulator/cakulator.html

and yes as everyone has said ask her for the other dimension -- see what i mean  -- she's not coming off as knowledgeable

"*** Instruct the client that the servings need to be cut 1.5"x2x4 (high) to get her jumbo pieces, rather than the 1x2x4 standard. "

^^^ this from johnson6ofus

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%