Tips Needed On Layering

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 25 May 2015 , 8:58pm by SoniaMT

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 25 May 2015 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I'm making a birthday cake covered in fondant. I want to do a two tier. Bottom tier I'm thinking of using a 8 inch x 2 inch and top tier a 6 inch × 2 inch. My question is how many layers should I do cake and filling. Last time I did two 8 inch with one filling layer...and same with the 6 inch I did two cakes with one filling layer. It turned out ok..but I feel like the cake layers were thick and it might have turned out nicer if I maybe cut them in half and layered with more filling....what do you guys think? What ratio do you guys use for cake and filling layers ? 

2 replies
littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 25 May 2015 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 3

I typically do 2 layers of cake .... cutting them in half. I bake bake in the 3 inch pans and end up (if doing 2 layers) with 4 layers. I assemble from bottom up  .... cake, filling, cake, icing, cake, filling, cake. presentation is really nice when cut. My "layers" end up being 1 1/4 inches. 

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 25 May 2015 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 3

I see that sounds like it would look really nice! Thanks I'll try that. I need to get 3 inch in thickness baking pans. All mine are 2 inches. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%