Problems With Doing Rose Icing

Decorating By Cherrypoison Updated 25 May 2015 , 7:01pm by mccantsbakes

Cherrypoison Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:12am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! 

Just wondering if anyone could help me with an icing question :-) I've been using a Wilton 2D tip to ice my cupcakes following this method

http://www.thetomkatstudio.com/howtofrostcupcakes/

to get that lovely rose shaped swirl for a while, but recently it has started to do something weird to the icing. It seems to be splitting into separate streams and doing what I can only describe as 'ribboning', instead of sticking together as one stream. Any idea what might be happening?

6 replies
sannalee Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:48am
post #2 of 7

Check your piping tip for a granule of powdered sugar that didnt get sifted and is stuck

BabyGotCakes Posted 25 May 2015 , 11:19am
post #3 of 7

I'm following this post...the same thing has happened to me in the past so I've started using a different tip all together to ice my cupcakes.  I was thinking that maybe my 2D tip was somehow warped out of shape at the top, maybe, from a lot of use and washings and perhaps that was the reason.  Instead of buying a new one to test this theory, I just started using a different tip. lol   

Quote by @Cherrypoison on 1 hour ago

Hi everyone! 

Just wondering if anyone could help me with an icing question :-) I've been using a Wilton 2D tip to ice my cupcakes following this method

http://www.thetomkatstudio.com/howtofrostcupcakes/

to get that lovely rose shaped swirl for a while, but recently it has started to do something weird to the icing. It seems to be splitting into separate streams and doing what I can only describe as 'ribboning', instead of sticking together as one stream. Any idea what might be happening?

Cherrypoison Posted 25 May 2015 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 7

@Sannalee, that was my original thought but it's done this more than once now with different batches of icing (and obviously having been cleaned in between). @babygotcakes, I'm thinking the same, took a picture of one in the shop to compare today so we'll see

kakeladi Posted 25 May 2015 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 7

As the other poster mentioned it sounds like you have a clog in the tip.  How smooth is your icing?  You probably are not mixing it long enough to get it smooth and well incorporated.  Make sure you are washing those tips completely. 

Cherrypoison Posted 25 May 2015 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 7

@kakelady, it looks smooth to my eye but I probably have been getting a bit lazy with it recently :-)

mccantsbakes Posted 25 May 2015 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 7

I have had that same issue too.    My tip ended up being ever so slightly warped.  Those little prongs don't take a lot of force to shift slightly.

what I do to fix them is stick a knife in  the tip from the bottom and gently push out the prongs and then I use my counter top to gently tap the closed star shape back into place.  Or if it's an open star, i gently make sure the prongs are all evenly spaced with no curvature  (I also Google a picture of the tip as a guide to see what it should look like)

if a round tip gets messed up, I stick a smaller sized round tip on the underside and the force of it pushing through shapes the messed up one to the circle shape of the one inside  

this is probably not the official way to repair tips, but it works for me  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%