Help Talking To My First Client

Business By toriannlynn Updated 26 May 2015 , 5:32am by johnson6ofus

toriannlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toriannlynn Posted 25 May 2015 , 12:12am
post #1 of 3

Ok so up until now I have only made cakes for friends and family now someone had reached out to my aunt and asked her to ask me to make a cake for her sons bday. I do not know this lady and my aunt has given me her number. I plan to call her Tuesday after the holiday weekend and I was just wondering what I should say/ask her? I know she wants a small alligator cake for August 22 but that is it! I know I need pickup/delivery info but what other info should I get?! Thank you so much! I'm nervous

2 replies
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 25 May 2015 , 12:27am
post #2 of 3

You need to ask her all the pertinent information you will need to make the cake.  Like, what flavor she wants, does she want it 3-d, how many people does it need to feed, if she wants to add anything to the cake etc.... 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 May 2015 , 5:32am
post #3 of 3

First question is budget. Then, number of servings.  STOP HERE. Determine if she is realistic now. Is it a Duff special with pyrotechnics that she wants for the WalMArt price?  Your conversation may end here.

If it continues, ask questions, be pleasant, and say, "I will get back to you _______ with a quote." NEVER quote "on the fly" or even "ballpark". And (when you call back with a quote) you can always reverse it and say, for your budget of $______, and needing ____ servings I can do ___________. 

She may not be able to get what she wants for her budget, but maybe you can recommend something that is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%