Cake Stand

Decorating By melanieaucock Updated 25 May 2015 , 7:56pm by SquirrellyCakes

melanieaucock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanieaucock Posted 24 May 2015 , 8:52am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I want to make a cake stand with a 16inch cake dummy! But...would it hold the weight of a wedding cake?

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 May 2015 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 4

It depends on how many tiers of cake, the diameters, height, fillings and frosting and decorations. I think in most cases, adding a drum to the dummy is your best bet.

melanieaucock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanieaucock Posted 24 May 2015 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your suggestion......I am making a cake stand to hire out....diameter is 16inch which is quite big with a mirrored top....but just wasnt sure how stong styrofoam was and how many tiers to suggest to customers?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 May 2015 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 4

So you are gluing a mirror or  cut mirror to the top of a styrofoam dummy and I am guessing covering the sides with cut mirror?  Then people would place the cake which would already be on a cake drum, on top?  

I honestly don't know how much weight a dummy can withstand but I am guessing quite a bit.  I think I would put a drum under it.   Mainly because it would save on wear and tear on the bottom of the dummy.  Or cut plywood to fit the bottom of the dummy.  

I hope the cake isn't sitting directly on the mirror.  It would scratch the glass when the cake is cut.  If it is cut mirror glass pieces put together , cutting cake directly on it would be a health hazard.

I would be tempted to test it with weight. Maybe up to 75 pounds.  Do you have access to weights? Or I might even try sitting on it.  I think you could likely go 4, six inch tiers and perhaps even more.  The heaviest cake would be fruitcake which could weigh more than 75 pounds, so that might need a limit in tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%