Does Everyone Worry Constantly??

Lounge By CoinUK Updated 8 Jun 2015 , 9:55pm by CoinUK

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 23 May 2015 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 16

I'm in the middle of making my first wedding cake, finished one tier, baked the second, finish it off tomorrow. And I'm constantly worrying about it!!

Does everyone constantly worry and stress and fret when they are doing a cake?? Does this nervousness ever go away??

I don't think my heart can take the pace! :D 

15 replies
Bogginboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogginboy Posted 23 May 2015 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 16

Not got much experience but I know every time I even help do a cake I'm a nervous wreck having done the fondant work for two 25th anniversary cakes and I've got two wedding cakes coming up in July about a week from each other that one of them my aunt is taking point with and the other I'm doing by myself but the one I'm probably just making the fondant and helping stick it on but the second one I'm doing completely alone

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 May 2015 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 16

It doesn't completely go away but it does ease up after a time.  But this is a good thing - - it keeps you from getting complacent and not giving every cake your best.

Bogginboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogginboy Posted 23 May 2015 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 16

Great point

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 24 May 2015 , 2:30am
post #5 of 16

Cake stress is there no matter what, it decreases with experience but it's always there, it's what keeps you on the game. I had a nightmare last night about a wedding cake due in June - but I think I was just worried about today's delivery! 

BUT - when all the cakes are delivered for the week to smiles all round - then there's a great dose of cake endorphins! Quickly replaced of course by the stress of starting next week's cakes....

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 May 2015 , 2:38am
post #6 of 16

Always anxious............but that's part of the rush.  Cake decorators are artists - yes - but also adrenalin junkies.   That's part of the reward.............freaking ourselves out............succeeding ..............then reaching for that next sugar high.  I'm in a rut with birch bark cakes right now.........and I'm scared stiff I'll be bored.  There's nothing like a cake you're scared stiff about - makes you feel alive and sometimes like a magician  

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 May 2015 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 16

Quote by @CoinUK on 17 hours ago

Does everyone constantly worry and stress and fret when they are doing a cake?? yes  Does this nervousness ever go away??  no

I don't think my heart can take the pace!   I don't think my neighbors can take the loud, emphatic, cuss words

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2015 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 16

I'm at the point where the only thing I worry about is forgetting something.

snixsnaxshax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snixsnaxshax Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 2:12am
post #9 of 16

YES!! I will toss all night when I'm doing a cake.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 16

Comforting to hear I'm not the only nervous wreck, lol. 

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 16

I'm so glad to hear that I"m not the only one as well. I literally can make myself ill with my anxiety and nervousness. Since starting my business I have actually increased my dosage of prozac to 40 mg to help with my anxiety (and previous depression). I know that's really horrible, I'm so glad that I love it as much as I do. I love the cakes, it's just the people that make me nervous usually. :-) Hang in there, you're not alone. 

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 16

I thought my first wedding cake would kill me!  I couldn't sleep for days before it was due.  I'd wake up in the middle of the night and think about the cake and how it would be decorated and how I would transport it.  Transporting scares me more than anything!  When it was over, it really was the best feeling ever!  The compliments and the bride being happy, what a high!!!!

Take a deep breath and keep telling yourself, "I CAN DO THIS!"  You'll be great!  

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 16

I'm in the same boat. I was really nervous when I first started because everything was new. I still like to push the envelope so I always try and incorporate a new technique into my cakes and naturally take on more stress because of that. In the end, I've learned that for me to manage my stress better, I do the following:

1) Write all of the details of my cake in a worksheet and reference it even if I think I know what I'm doing (I've baked the wrong cake flavors before)

2) Bake all my cakes in advance of the due date. I focus on stacking/decorating, not baking, on the day of.

3) I make all of my gumpaste items well in advance. I also list out all of the items I will need on my worksheet and cross them off as I do them. I double check my inventory for SPS, cake boards etc so I'm not left having to drive to Michaels at the last minute.

4) Get REALLY good at estimating how much filling/icing you need. I hate having to make another batch because I underestimated. I'd rather over-estimate at this point. Make the icings and fillings in advance if you can.

5) Leave enough time to take good pictures (Craftsy has a great class on this now)

6) Give myself plenty of time when delivering. I know it's not always possible, but nothing is worse than driving to an event and traffic, etc is getting in the way. 

I think those are the basic steps I take to manage some of the natural stress that comes along with the territory. 

Cheers,

Frank

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 16

Absolutely and I don't even do wedding cakes because I think it would kill me.  Saturday was just a comedy of multiple errors that made me wonder if I should be in this business, but in the end the client was very happy.  Gotta double check all those details!

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 16

Quote by @DeniseNH on 24 May 2015 , 2:38am

Always anxious............but that's part of the rush.  Cake decorators are artists - yes - but also adrenalin junkies.   That's part of the reward.............freaking ourselves out............succeeding ..............then reaching for that next sugar high.  I'm in a rut with birch bark cakes right now.........and I'm scared stiff I'll be bored.  There's nothing like a cake you're scared stiff about - makes you feel alive and sometimes like a magician  

I totally just realized that I'm hooked on the adernaline lol. I never in a million years would have connected the dots on that. I kept wondering why on earth I keep doing cakes (iced cookies, fondant decorations and custom toppers). I worry, I flip out, I cry, I lose sleep, I even occasionally say "after this I quit bc I can't take this" but I swear to you as soon as it's all over I'm all jazzed ready for the next one. I think most of the anxiety and worry comes simply from my lack of experience and everything we do is usually still a first for us. So far everything we've done has turned out great with the exception of one color issue. So for all the potential disasters I've worried over only one minor thing has happened. I'll probably never stop worrying and I think that's ok :) 

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 16

Right, so, yeah. Not just me then!

Good to know! :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%