Styling/design Advice For Cupcake Tower

Decorating By AprylY Updated 23 May 2015 , 7:51pm by AprylY

AprylY Posted 23 May 2015 , 6:07am
post #1 of 4

Hello all,

I'm making the cake for my mother's wedding on the 4th of July. She has decided she wants to go with a cupcake tower now. I'm a hobby baker and while I'm still excited to do this for her I'm a bit more out of my element here.

. Her fiance is making a custom wood stand. It's sunflower themed; I want to do a 6 in round cake for the top tier with a modeling choc/candy clay sunflower accent and burlap "ribbon". That part I'm comfortable with and know what I'm doing. But for the cupcakes...any good design rules or tips?

She wants me to pipe sunflowers. I'm worried that there should be more diversity. Would the piped sunflowers look at odds with the molded one on the cake?

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2015 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 4

oh no it will be beautiful -- just pipe each one a bit different -- so they are this way and that a little -- you want piped flowers on cupcakes so your guests can enjoy eating them without removing the candy and getting messier fingers --

when you say molded sunflowers on the top cake do you mean made by hand or made in a mold or cut from cutters and assembled?

i think i would want to pipe the sunflowers on the cake too -- i would make tall stems running up the side and plant the sunflowers on the edge and hanging off the edge --

sounds like a beautiful design

-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2015 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 4

sunflowers appear in like ocean waves of yellow green and brown that nod their heads at you when you pass by -- it'll be gorgeous

and i hope you can use edible burlap -- real burlap is funky around food --

best to you

AprylY Posted 23 May 2015 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll do a color variation like you suggested.

The ribbon will be faux burlap not real burlap. I have been reading a lot about that! I plan on making and assembling 2 or 3 big sunflowers by hand, and adding detailed shading with pwd food coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%