Apple Spice Cake Recipe?

Baking By lfernandez Updated 23 May 2015 , 7:33pm by -K8memphis

lfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lfernandez Posted 23 May 2015 , 12:57am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to make an apple spice cake for a 2 tiered wedding cake for a friend.

I've never made one before so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a recipe?

The recipes I've seen have all been very different (some using apple sauce while others use actual apples).

I will be icing it in buttercream instead of cream cheese as requested by the couple.

Any help would be great

Thank you in advance

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2015 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 5

i would lean toward the applesauce type recipes because you want a cake that will slice and serve perfectly without hitting chunks of apples and cutting weird -- however my mother-in-law made the best apple cake i've ever had and i hate to even try to make it for fear it won't come out like she made it -- still have to ask my sister-in-law for that recipe but it was chunky and wonderful but not at all what you want for a tier cake -- it's a 9x13 type recipe

i vote applesauce

my appley thoughts -- best to you

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 May 2015 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 5

This is my apple cake recipe. I have always made it in a 9×13 ×2 inch pan but it could be adapted for use with other pans.  You will need to adjust batter amounts for other pans.  It doesn't make a full 2 inch layer in this pan. It doesn't really rise a lot and there won' t be a hump in the centre.

SquirrelyCakes' Apple Cake

Pre-heat oven to 350 f.  Grease and flour a 9 ×13×2  inch pan. Line bottom with parchment paper.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar

1 cup extra virgin olive oil or canola oil

3 large eggs

2 cups all purpose flour ( I use unbleached)

1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

1 pinch of ground cloves (optional)

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups of finely chopped apples (about 3 apples - I use MacIntosh or Granny Smith and chop to the size of a small raisin)

1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

1/2 cup of seedless raisins ( if omitting nuts I increase to 1 cup) (optional)

Method:  Using a paddle attachment, mix oil with sugar.  Add eggs mixing on low until combined.  Add dry ingredients and mix on low only until combined. Stir in apples, nuts and raisins.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake 35-45 minutes until toothpick inserted in centre comes out without wet batter, only moist crumbs attached.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 May 2015 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

Whoops, didn't see previous post.  I think -K8memphis is right about appearance.  The applesauce cakes will have a finer crumb but in my opinion, they just don't taste as appley. The apple cakes will be kind of more like  a carrot cake or zucchini cake.  At least more like my carrot cake is from scratch. Wouldn't deter me from using it but as K8 says, it might not be what some people want.  More rustic..

Gosh, k8 uses "appley " too...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2015 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 5

i agree with you, sc, my mom-in-law's cake had this luscious soft leathery crust and it was just amazing like your recipe with nice sized apple blobs and nuts -- hers is a legend to me -- the applesauce one serves better for a wedding where the slices cost so much and need to conform and be user friendly -- but like you said, if they want a more rustic cake why not use the chunkier version -- i'd think three layers per tier of the chunky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%