Colored Candy Melts Vs. Candy Melts W/flo-Coat And Gel Color

Decorating By lvlba Updated 23 May 2015 , 2:08am by SquirrellyCakes

lvlba Posted 23 May 2015 , 12:13am
post #1 of 4

When I began making dipped treats, I always used white candy melts (bulk), added Flo-Coat and then the gel food coloring and it's been easy to work with..never a problem. Today, I didn't have any at hand so I used some already colored candy melts that I happened to have at hand and it was horrible! :( It was so stubborn when I tried decorating some pretzel sticks. It got thick really fast and the end result was not very good looking. Also, when I leave it on 'low' on the stove, it starts forming stuff in it. With the candy melts + flo coat+color I can leave it on low and it will stay so sexy and easy flowing...nothing starts forming in it. Is there a method to the already prepared candy melts madness? Where did I go wrong with them? 

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 May 2015 , 12:34am
post #2 of 4

Well, if they are old you can have clumping issues.  Overheating will cause the same problem. Some colours are worse than others. You cannot leave them on low, at least I haven't found that you can. I think I would add the Flo coat and see the results. I have tried the tip of adding shortening to clumpy melts and I don't find it helps much either.

lvlba Posted 23 May 2015 , 1:58am
post #3 of 4

Thank you Squirrelly Cakes! It did cross my mind that perhaps they may have been on the shelf a little too long. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 May 2015 , 2:08am
post #4 of 4

I find I have less issues with the brown or white melts.  More with the coloured ones. The shelf life of the coloured ones is short.

Quote by @%username% on %date%