De-Frosting Fondant Cake

Baking By ZlatkaT Updated 23 May 2015 , 1:22pm by TicTac521

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,

I really screwed up. I was so excited an worried about my next cake project, that I baked 1 week prior party.  It's for my bf graduation pty, and so I by her request I put the cake in the freezer, to be safe (but I knew it would be OK in the fridge until next week). So my Q is how to correctly defrost the cake. The py is next Friday (29th), should I put it from the freezer on Thu night and put it to the fridge? Or...should I defrost in the room temperature the morning before pty, Pty is in the evening. Defrost still wrapped or unwrapped?

Please advise, as I don't want to screw-up ay more. 

Cake is WASC, crusting Cream cheese buttercream, Raspberry filling (all recipes rom this site)  + all covered in fondant, stacked.

Thank you, thank you... 

7 replies
TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 22 May 2015 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 8

I just did a wedding cake for last Friday night, I baked the weekend before and froze all the tiers torted and filled...I took them out Thursday morning to thaw at room temperature, just make sure they're wrapped tight so all the condensation forms on the outside of the wrapping...once thawed, I decorated and boxed up to bring to the venue the next afternoon...I never refrigerated the cakes.  As long as nothing is perishable you should be fine.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 May 2015 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, put it in the frig Thurs night and take it out to room temp on Friday morning still completely wrapped.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 May 2015 , 12:09am
post #4 of 8

Uh, didn't you say there is crusting cream cheese buttercream under the fondant?  Following  food safety guidelines you should defrost refrigerated.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 May 2015 , 1:34am
post #5 of 8

Oooh, good catch SquirrellyCakes!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 May 2015 , 2:21am
post #6 of 8

Haha, surprising I caught it Pastrybaglady.

To be honest, for my own personal home use, I don't refrigerate cream cheese buttercream iced cakes. I have used the same recipe for at least 30 years and store the cake at room temperature of 70 f. Nobody has ever gotten sick and I have kept the cake on the counter for up to 5 days but normally 3. It is how I always keep my carrot cake.  My sister does the same.  

The recipe is from the 70's and is a commercial recipe that was sold to restaurants and health food shops that also did not refrigerate it.

I wish I could get it tested here for food safety but haven't found a place to do so.  But I always have to bite my tongue when I see food safety guidelines.  I know that they cannot test every recipe but I suspect that this one would  pass. Still I cannot go against the guidelines.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 23 May 2015 , 11:33am
post #7 of 8

Thank you ladies for your help. Could you explain to me why the cake needs to be still wrapped when de-frosting? I am worried that the condensation water will drip to my cake, and the fondant will be wet.

TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 23 May 2015 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 8

If its wrapped tight enough so there's no air between the cake and the wrapping, the condensation will form on the outside of the wrapping and your fondant will stay dry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%