Pre-Delivery Nerves...

Lounge By Webake2gether Updated 23 May 2015 , 3:13am by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Posted 22 May 2015 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 9

I'm a nervous wreck lol. I have a "Tiffany" inspired cupcake tier for a graduation party that I'm delivering tonight.  I know this lady very well she has had a lot of our other dessert items before but for some reason my anxiety is through the roof. It's for her granddaughter and I'm worried that despite how I think the cupcakes and custom topper turned out that they'll hate it. This is my second delivery to an event but the last one someone I didn't know met me there and paid no attention to what I was doing but this will be different. I'm worried about them watching my every move and making me more nervous lol.

I'm starting to doubt that I'm even cut out for this. I guess I'd rather be overly concerned and everything be right than not care at all and them end up hating it. I've read all the stories on here about customers complaining and now I'm scared :( I hope this goes well. I'll post pictures when I deliver it. 

8 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 9

Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... It's going to be great!  Breathe out...

TicTac521 Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 9

Don't really have any advice but just giving support...I just did my first wedding cake last week, 4 tiers for a close relative in which I also attended the wedding. I had such anxiety about sitting there at reception and watching the cake fall over...however, everything turned out great and the cake was a huge hit...good luck, you'll be fine :)

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 9

in my several years of doing this i've personally had very few complaints -- really only one where they said the cake was leaning and they had to take pictures early and disassemble -- this was 40+ years ago -- then there were two times i failed to deliver -- one the groom's cake didn't get done and one i forgot an order so those were justified complaints -- those were both 'my bads' -- the complaints i hear on here are few and far between for the number of cakers represented by all of us posters --

the shops i've worked at have had a few complaints but they are truly rare -- truly --

but one time early on i did the worst cake of all -- cake wrecks wasn't invented yet but if it had they would have rejected it too -- i was doing my best not to burst out crying while stacking on site and schlepping on the decor and there were a few early arrivers across the room -- always are a couple huh -- i knew they were going to start laughing or yelling me any minute and sure enough i heard their stage whispers wafting across the empty ballroom "isn't it beautiful" they murmured -- hruh? srsly? "yes" they said

one thing to try & remember is that this is not about you -- it's about a special celebration and a special person/people that are not you -- you are a cog in their wheel -- the cake is a part of the refreshments -- most people don't care -- they want what they ordered, delivered on time, want it to look good, taste good, serve well and 'k by see yah we gotta get this party started -- so suck it up and get over yourself -- in a good way -- get a chef coat to deliver in do your job and go -- bam

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 9

and have you experienced the 'cake high' you get when you do a delivery? look forward to that too -- it's awesome

Webake2gether Posted 23 May 2015 , 12:16am
post #6 of 9

Delivery went well one cupcake suffered a serious icing fail but my friend said she'd take care of that one lol. They loved all the components and it looked nice and elegant. My only complaint is that my icing darkened on the cupcakes and was a little darker than he god at topper and Im prepared to address that if they find it to be an issue overall I sucked it up like a professional talked to a few quests and politely introduced myself to the mother of the graduate. No need for all the anxiety. I learned to watch my colors a whole lot closer though :) 

Webake2gether Posted 23 May 2015 , 12:18am
post #7 of 9

Fondant not he god lol

Pastrybaglady Posted 23 May 2015 , 1:32am
post #8 of 9

Oh yeah, always color well ahead.  Good job on this one!  So maybe you'll be more relaxed for the next project?  

Webake2gether Posted 23 May 2015 , 3:13am
post #9 of 9

I just got a text from her and they were a hit. Everyone was asking where they got them from so to me that's the most important part is that people enjoyed them and party we t great. I've never matched fondant and icing together so I learned a big lesson on that one for sure and I made my icing a few days ago but was worried about coloring it too soon why I don't know probably bc I lack experience lol. My gut said add a little white food coloring I know I should have went with my instinct.

Also I had a lengthy conversation with her and said I would do my absolute best with the colors but couldn't gurantee an exact match and she is more than aware of how new we are to this so I think some grace was extended in advance :)  thanks for the encouragement everyone maybe next time I won't get so nervous. Is it easier when you don't know the people? I have to see everyone I bake for again (often) so maybe that's why I worry. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%