Mint Flavor Transfer Question

Baking By MrsB922 Updated 22 May 2015 , 5:21pm by -K8memphis

MrsB922 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsB922 Posted 21 May 2015 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hello - I am making a three tier cake this weekend.  The requested flavors were:  banana cake with cream cheese filling and frosting, pound cake with raspberry filling and vanilla buttercream and the third tier devil's food cake with mint chocolate chip buttercream filling and frosting. All cakes will be covered in MMF, stacked, and supported with dowells/cardboard cake rounds.  I'm using Boyajian brand peppermint flavor for the mint buttercream.  Do I need to be concerned about the mint flavor transferring to the other cakes?  Will the fondant prevent the mint flavor from transferring by keeping the cake sealed?  If anyone has any opinion or actual experience with my scenario, I would love to hear from you.  Thank you!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2015 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 5

i've never made that flavor array of cake per se -- but yes mint permeates and if you keep everything separate and stack on site it will probably be ok but i can't say for sure --

what i can say for sure is that i would not take an order for a tier cake with mint plus other flavors because of the pervasiveness of the mint --

and no the fondant will not keep the mint flavor in it's place -- and it's filling and frosting that's mint -- no that's gonna blast all over the place --

and you are keeping the cream cheese and raspberry filled cakes refrigerated yes?

is the mint tier the top or bottom?

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2015 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 5

i've never made that flavor array of cake per se -- but yes mint permeates and if you keep everything separate and stack on site it will probably be ok but i can't say for sure --

what i can say for sure is that i would not take an order for a tier cake with mint plus other flavors because of the pervasiveness of the mint --

and no the fondant will not keep the mint flavor in it's place -- and it's filling and frosting that's mint -- no that's gonna blast all over the place --

and you are keeping the cream cheese and raspberry filled cakes refrigerated yes?

is the mint tier the top or bottom?

MrsB922 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsB922 Posted 22 May 2015 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your response.  I tried to respond back yesterday, but the site would not let me post :-(  My customer has decided to substitute another flavor for the mint chocolate chip filling.  Thank you again for confirming what I had suspected about the mint flavor permeating the other cakes.  Glad I found this site!! 

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 5

you're welcome -- if it was for a wedding -- i would suggest the groom's or bride's cake to be mint -- best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%