How To Achieve A White Cake?????'

Baking By cakeymom Updated 21 May 2015 , 1:43pm by cakeymom

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:22am
post #1 of 8

I have a friend that likes white cake.  Great......  

So I adjusted my vanilla butter cake.  Removed all but two tablespoons of the butter for shortening.  I removed the egg yolks for egg whites.  It also, has a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk.  It baked up just as beautifully as my butter cake.  So, homerun out of the park.   A wonderfully light and fluffy cake.  Just not as white as I was thinking of.

My question is this, "Can you really achieve a true white cake without doctoring a cake mix?"

Cakeymom

7 replies
cakeymom Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:23am
post #2 of 8

Oh he's I even used 1 1/2 tsp of clear vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp of real vanilla extract.

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:26am
post #3 of 8

You can, as long at they don't mind it tasting "eggy" nectar it will do that with egg whites. It will never be white white, but slightly beige.

MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:28am
post #4 of 8

Quote by @MinaBakes on 1 second ago

You can, as long at they don't mind it tasting "eggy" nectar it will do that with egg whites. It will never be white white, but slightly beige.

"Eggy" because*** it will do that

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:28am
post #5 of 8

Did you used bleached or unbleached flour?   I would eliminate the real vanilla and go all clear.   I use land o lakes butter and it is very light in color.   Those are the only things I can think of to get it whiter.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:29am
post #6 of 8

There is always angel food cake.

MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:36am
post #7 of 8

I like this one :

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/mrs-billetts-white-cake

When I beat the butter, I do it till it is pale yellow. Maybe compare this to your recipe and make adjustments. 

cakeymom Posted 21 May 2015 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 8

I used bleached flour.  MinaBakes thanks for the recipe suggestion.  I also, used Land O Lakes Butter. 

I will give it another try with clear vanilla, as well and make a few other tweaks. and keep the suggestions in mind too.

Thanks for all the responses.  Cakeymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%