Best Way To Attach Silk Ribbon To Fondant?

Decorating By Brookebakes Updated 21 May 2015 , 12:22pm by MinaBakes

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 8

I have a 1 tier, 8 inch cake that needs dark purple ribbon attached to white fondant - but kind of wrapped up and around the cake "flowing" if that makes sense - so not just around the base of the cake.

Firstly, how is best to attach the ribbon? Around the base of cakes I just use pins at the back (and of course tell customers they are there!) I have tried royal icing before, but a grease-type residue always comes through the ribbon, staining it. I'd like the ribbon to keep it's original colour, without any spots etc.

Secondly, how will I get the ribbon to hold in kind of a flowing shape, rather than just being in a straight line?

Thanks!

7 replies
MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 2:12am
post #2 of 8

How thick is the ribbon. I'm trying to picture it... You wouldn't happen to have a picture of what you're trying to achieve?

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 9:11am
post #4 of 8

Well, double-sided tape would work.  Some people might say it isn't food safe.  But I cannot see a problem with it because as long as it isn't in contact with the icing/ fondant, the tape glue wouldn't leech into it.

Have you thought of instead making the ribbon out of fondant?  That is another option.

MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 11:30am
post #5 of 8

I did one with black fondant and the only problem I had with it was getting a straight line on the cake. Then again I did it in a rush the day of delivery... 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 8

I should have added that I meant for the double sided tape to be used to tape the ribbon to itself, not to the cake.

MinaBakes  yes it is tricky. An extra pair of hands helps.  I haven't tried it for ribbon in this manner, just around the base of tiers. I usually add some gumpaste or tylose to fondant for this use.

I wouldn't use the marshmallow fondant in this case as I find it stretches more and is more difficult to maintain shape with using it for  ribbon.

MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 8

I used Satin Ice bc it's the most available in bulk at restaurant depot and I use those, but perhaps too much bc it kept tearing off and breaking.

MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 8

I used tylose**

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%