Help With Fondant Ladybugs

Decorating By terrymax Updated 20 May 2015 , 8:23pm by Jinkies

terrymax Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 4

Can someone tell me how to put little dots and "wing lines" on the back of a fondant ladybug.  I tried it with a small brush and gel food coloring, but it never dried.  A sharpie pen didn't work either.  Ideas?

3 replies
Webake2gether Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 4

There are edible ink pens (I've never used myself so I can't tell you how they work) but I think I would try either black colored icing and a very small round tip or even some piping gel. I'm new to piping gel but what I've read it's good for detailing and writing. Hope that helps :)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 4

The edible food markers work really well.  You could also use a round icing tip to cut out little dots of black fondant and attach with a bit of water or meringue powder glue.

Jinkies Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 4

I did a lady bug cake that had a little, maybe 3/4 inch size, ladybug on the cake board.  I just rolled a little thin line of black fondant for the back and used the small end of an icing tip to cut out tiny little black circles.  You could even just roll an itty bitty amount of black fondant between your fingers into a ball and press that flat to make a circle. I liked the icing tip better because they were all the same size and thickness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%