How Many Samples Do I Need For A Festival / Craft Show Event?

Business By mamalovescakes Updated 20 May 2015 , 8:22pm by cakedout

mamalovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamalovescakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! This is my first post here but I know it won't be my last :) so thank you in advance for any and all advise! I have several different events that I am planning on being a vendor at this year and next year. I am just starting out and have never set up a booth before. Events will include festivals, street fairs, block parties, bridal/wedding expos, craft shows, etc.

Where I live, there isn't much competition at events (most just advertise or have a store but don't go to the events). So far, I am the only cake/cupcake vendor at 90% of these events (one or two of the big events have a competitor that sell strictly cupcakes).

The attendance for most one day events range from 1,500 - 10,000. There is a three day event next March that has over 500 booths and the attendence is between 30,000 - 35,000 plus there is another event in December that is a five day event that has over 700 booths and an attendance of 45,000 - 50,000!!!! My main question is how many samples (mini cupcakes) do I need per attendee?

I have tried researching this and I've seen some people say 1 sample for every 5 attendees. So that would mean 300 - 2,000 samples per day. Would a 20% ratio be enough?!? I would think if the samples are free, that I would need closer to an 80% ratio.

Another question I have is, if I have to make thousands and thousands of mini cupcakes, how long will they last in the freezer? Can I start making them 2-3 weeks before the event so that I have enough time? Do I freeze them unfrosted or can I freeze them with buttercream frosting on them?

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 May 2015 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not clear on the nature of your business. Why do you need to give away free samples at all these events? If you do wedding cakes I can see sampling your product at bridal/wedding expos. But for festivals, street fairs, etc, you would be there to make money. That means selling your products.  

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 5

You can make them, decorate and freeze them.  

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 20 May 2015 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

Or only give samples to those who sign your guest book and you get their contact info to follow up on...:)  Emails should go fast and it keeps the line moving and forced people to stop and look at your displays. No one says EVERYONE get s a free cupcake...;)

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 5

Yeah- I'm a little confused as well.....I would think that at a street fair or craft show you would want to be selling your product to make a few bucks to cover the cost of your space rental and supplies to make all of those cupcakes!

That said- for bridal shows (and maybe other events) be aware of food safety regulations.  Since I did wedding cakes and not cupcakes, I used to make sheet cakes, cut them up and package the small bite-size samples in a little disposable container with a lid....with my cake business sticker on the lid!  :)  That way a bride could take home the sample and still remember which bakery it came from! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%