How Many Samples Do I Need For A Festival / Craft Show Event?

Business By mamalovescakes Updated 20 May 2015 , 8:22pm by cakedout

mamalovescakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! This is my first post here but I know it won't be my last :) so thank you in advance for any and all advise! I have several different events that I am planning on being a vendor at this year and next year. I am just starting out and have never set up a booth before. Events will include festivals, street fairs, block parties, bridal/wedding expos, craft shows, etc.

Where I live, there isn't much competition at events (most just advertise or have a store but don't go to the events). So far, I am the only cake/cupcake vendor at 90% of these events (one or two of the big events have a competitor that sell strictly cupcakes).

The attendance for most one day events range from 1,500 - 10,000. There is a three day event next March that has over 500 booths and the attendence is between 30,000 - 35,000 plus there is another event in December that is a five day event that has over 700 booths and an attendance of 45,000 - 50,000!!!! My main question is how many samples (mini cupcakes) do I need per attendee?

I have tried researching this and I've seen some people say 1 sample for every 5 attendees. So that would mean 300 - 2,000 samples per day. Would a 20% ratio be enough?!? I would think if the samples are free, that I would need closer to an 80% ratio.

Another question I have is, if I have to make thousands and thousands of mini cupcakes, how long will they last in the freezer? Can I start making them 2-3 weeks before the event so that I have enough time? Do I freeze them unfrosted or can I freeze them with buttercream frosting on them?

4 replies
MimiFix Posted 20 May 2015 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not clear on the nature of your business. Why do you need to give away free samples at all these events? If you do wedding cakes I can see sampling your product at bridal/wedding expos. But for festivals, street fairs, etc, you would be there to make money. That means selling your products.  

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 5

You can make them, decorate and freeze them.  

johnson6ofus Posted 20 May 2015 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

Or only give samples to those who sign your guest book and you get their contact info to follow up on...:)  Emails should go fast and it keeps the line moving and forced people to stop and look at your displays. No one says EVERYONE get s a free cupcake...;)

cakedout Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 5

Yeah- I'm a little confused as well.....I would think that at a street fair or craft show you would want to be selling your product to make a few bucks to cover the cost of your space rental and supplies to make all of those cupcakes!

That said- for bridal shows (and maybe other events) be aware of food safety regulations.  Since I did wedding cakes and not cupcakes, I used to make sheet cakes, cut them up and package the small bite-size samples in a little disposable container with a lid....with my cake business sticker on the lid!  :)  That way a bride could take home the sample and still remember which bakery it came from! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%