Fruitcake - Using Kirsch Instead Of Rum To Soak Fruit - Help Required

Baking By hotfromtheoven Updated 7 Sep 2015 , 1:17pm by hotfromtheoven

hotfromtheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotfromtheoven Posted 19 May 2015 , 7:18am
post #1 of 3

Hello fellow bakers,

I am an amateur baking enthusiast and I recently bought a bottle of Luxardo Kirsch. I haven't used it in baking before and usually pre-soak dried fruit for the Christmas cake months in advance. This year in in May itself I decided to soak my fruit but found out I was out of Rum, that I usually use, so in my enthusiasm I soaked the dried fruit(raisins, walnuts, candied orange peel) in kirsch. This is however only half the quantity that I would require for my cake. Now I am wondering if that was a good idea at all! I don't know how the cake will taste and do not want it to be excessively bitter. Has anyone tried this before? Any idea if the cake will be any good? It has been a little over 2 weeks now and am wondering if i should drain all the fruit and re-soak in rum. Or should I soak the remaining fruit(prunes, dates, dried cherries, almonds) in Rum and then mix the two together before adding to the batter? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

2 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 8:51am
post #2 of 3

Well, the only fruit I have soaked in kirsch  are berries and cherries.  Some nationalities soak oranges and other fruits.  Personally, I don't soak any form of nuts in alcohol.  I don't soak fruit for that length of time either but that is me.

If it were me, I would give it a taste and see what you think.  I likely would take a small quantity of the already soaked fruit, add a bit of rum and taste...likely pouring the fruit over ice cream. If you are happy with it then I would just add the remainder in rum.

hotfromtheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotfromtheoven Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks SquirrellyCakes for the great tip:)

I'll surely be trying this..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%