Even Swags

Decorating By littlemo12 Updated 18 May 2015 , 8:30pm by -K8memphis

littlemo12 Posted 18 May 2015 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake this Sunday, that has piping on the sides .... looks like elongated dotes, maybe done with a #2 tip ... in what I call a swag pattern, but not sure the correct terminology. I have a hard time getting each set even --- both width and length. I do use a non crusting buttercream. I have bought and tried the Wilton tool to help with getting them even and they never turn out to be the correct number of swags per tier (the tool has several slots). Any tricks are greatly appreciated. 

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2015 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 5

mark it in advance with toothpicks sticking out or just mark the icing -- if it was crusting you could measure a tape register roll of paper and cut it and wrap it around there to help guide you -- 

but the biggest thing about it is rhythm -- say "1-2-3 bam" and repeat for each segment or something like that or if it's a real short piping thing say "1-2" -- do it to a rhythm  be sure to practice it for several days in a row in advance -- set the timer for 10-15 minutes have all your stuff ready and do it -- use an upside down cake pan and you got it-- then also  right before you decorate the cake -- do another 10 minute warm up  -- you got it --

your goal is not to become perfect your goal to become rhythmic 

littlemo12 Posted 18 May 2015 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 5

Great advice ! I will give it a try .... makes since with repetitive work.  

SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 May 2015 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 5

Haha, had same reply as -K8memphis...the toothpick trick. Is anything handier than a toothpick?

I like her rhythm trick.

I would measure around the side of the cake pan and divide that number by the approximate size you want the swags.  Find a number that divides fairly evenly.  You likely will have a number with a fraction.

Incidentally,  I bought that tool and had the same issue and the divided mat didn't help either. 

-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2015 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 5

and fwiw I hold my breath when I pipe this kind of decor - I don't know if that's helpful to know but...there it is

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%