Streetwise Mat?

Decorating By CoinUK Updated 19 May 2015 , 12:14pm by nikki1227

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 18 May 2015 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone got one of these or ever used one?

I've been tempted by it after seeing it used in different videos on youtube, but the price is pretty steep for a simple home baker like myself. Just wondering if it's as good as it looks?

3 replies
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 18 May 2015 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 4

I own the biggest mat they have, I thought it was amazing at first but now it seems like the mat has stretched, so when I roll fondant on the mat it creates pleats on the edges. I can only cover up to an 8" cake with it now, anything bigger doesn't work. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else. 

Now I just use a regular silicone baking mat to roll out my fondant, it works great!

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 18 May 2015 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 4

I didn't used to like it because it felt like I had to use a lot more force to roll with both mats than just straight rolling on the fondant, so I stopped using it all together. 

About 3 weeks ago I had a wedding cake order for 110 tiers. I did 14", 10" and 6". I decided to give the mat a try again. The only thing I did different was using one mat at a time. I placed the fondant on one mat, rolled straight on the fondant. Then placed the second mat on top, roll some so it would stick to the fondant, flip it over, then remove the now top mat and continue rolling on the fondant without a mat. Does that make sense? It works for me. I also think this will decrease the chances of stretching the mat later on. I prefer the mat now over rolling on the counter top with powder sugar or constarch. Both dry out the fondant too much.

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 19 May 2015 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 4

I LOVE MY MAT! If you have a hard time rolling, use a marble rolling pin, the weight of the marble really helps. I have had mine for 2 years and still love it, the only thing I have trouble with is with marshmallow fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%