White Chocolate Snowflakes

Decorating By flawless1 Updated 19 May 2015 , 9:44pm by -K8memphis

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 17 May 2015 , 1:04am
post #1 of 13

I have to make a cake in 6 days and I will be adding white chocolate snowflakes to it. Is it a good idea to make the chocolate snowflakes tomorrow and refrigerate them until it is time to put them on the cake.  I prefer to use  Bakers White Chocolate Baking Bar or Ghirardelli classic white baking chips. Or should I use white chocolate candy melts.

Thanks

12 replies
Bogginboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogginboy Posted 17 May 2015 , 1:14am
post #2 of 13

Never used me myself but I've heard candy melts are grittier but I would not refrigerate the chocolate as it will sweat in heat

Bogginboy Posted 17 May 2015 , 1:16am
post #3 of 13

Them not me

but what I mean by heat is any temperature higher than the fridge I found this out the other day trying to set some chocolate I had in a mold now I did use the freezer but not for long and if you let the chocolate get used to the temp for too long it will probably sweat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 May 2015 , 4:38am
post #4 of 13

If you make them ahead of time you don't need to store them in the fridge.  They can be kept in a box in the house in a cool place away from the sun.  I use candy melts because they firm up faster than white chocolate chips.  I don't find the ones I use gritty.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 May 2015 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 13

candy melts get gritty if they are over heated -- can happen quickly

Bogginboy Posted 17 May 2015 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 13

Didn't know that that's how they can get gritty like I said I've never used them but I had heard that before

-K8memphis Posted 17 May 2015 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 13

it's real funny -- there's a big area where they're not exactly burned nothing is black or dark brown and they just get anywhere from a little grainy to weird funky lumpy -- strange -- after you ruin enough of them you catch on -- heheheheh

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 May 2015 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 13

So true and I find this isn't really an issue with the "chocolate" coloured ones, just the white and other specific colours.  The melts also tend not to melt well if you have kept them for very long which is not very long at all.

It has been said that if  you add a bit of Crisco to them, this will get rid of the graininess. Hasn't helped me much.

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2015 , 12:00am
post #9 of 13

true, sc

Bogginboy Posted 19 May 2015 , 6:06am
post #10 of 13

Have you tried butter instead of crisco? Just a thought but maybe the dairy would help?

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2015 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 13

i use butter in chocolate glaze and in ganache sometimes but i don't use it in melted chocolate because it has water and milk solids (which is probably what is causing the graininess when the candy melts are overheated)  using clarified butter, aka ghee might be ok -- and there's paramount crystals too -- i also will just douse it with a spot of oil too -- if you want to add the butter flavor then i'd use a butter flavored oil -- butter wouldn't be my first choice 

Bogginboy Posted 19 May 2015 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 13

Ok I just didn't know how it'd react like I said don't know anything about candy melts

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2015 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 13

sure i gotcha -- no worries

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%