How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By TicTac521 Updated 17 May 2015 , 2:20am by Natka81

TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 16 May 2015 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 8

So this is my first wedding cake ever.  From scratch, its 4 layers of dark chocolate cake with 3 layers of dark chocolate frosting in each tier.  The outside is a cream cheese flavored buttercream and decorated with fabric flowers.  The sizes are 12", 10", 8" and 6".  How much would you charge for this cake?  I have someone asking how much it would cost to get a cake like this, but this one I did as a gift for a relative.  I spent approximately $100 on supplies.  Thanks.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3340417/first-wedding-cake

7 replies
Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 16 May 2015 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 8

How much do you think it is worth? 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 May 2015 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 8

$646 delivered, customer supplies the flowers.  BUT that's MY price.  I have no idea how much your electricity costs, or what the market forces are wherever you live.  My price shouldn't even be relevant.  $100 seems like an awful lot for supplies.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 May 2015 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 8

Beautiful cake for a first time wedding cake!  Congratulations on a beautiful presentation for your relative.  However, a gift of love and labor for a beloved relative is far, far different than doing one for a "customer".  Since Leah was kind enough to provide her pricing, start with that as a "ballpark quote" to the interested party.  Then  compare costs in your area [market forces mentioned above] and read these articles and figure out your pricing.

"How Much Should I Charge for My Cakes?"

http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/Articles/How-Much-Should-I-Charge    

"How'd you arrive at that number?"    

http://staceyssweetshop.blogspot.com/2011/08/howd-you-arrive-at-that-number.html

Natka81 Posted 16 May 2015 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 8

Just this February, I had an inquiry for a 5 tier cake this size and my quote was $625.00 + additional for sugar flowers, if she decided to go with sugar flowers. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 17 May 2015 , 12:30am
post #6 of 8

You did a beautiful job!! For the first wedding cake all I can say is Wow!! Great job!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 May 2015 , 1:37am
post #7 of 8

Your cake is gorgeous. Wow!

Just a note concerning supply costs - those are going to vary a lot depending on what kinds of cakes you are making, mix or scratch.  Also homebakers paying retail or commercial bakers buying ingredients and supplies wholesale?  Additionally whether or not you are buying in bulk or small quantities.  Boxes and boards alone can be a large expense for a home baker.  Plus where you live and what you have access to.

Interesting to note that while leah_s found your supply cost high, I actually found it low compared to what it would cost me. 

Bottom line is as Apti and leah_s stated and Natka81 has shown, it is difficult for anyone to give you an accurate price unless they are in your area and in your situation.  Perhaps checking out commercial bakeries in your area for prices might help?

Natka81 Posted 17 May 2015 , 2:20am
post #8 of 8

Squirrellycakes, $100.00 for supplies and ingedient, for this size and price , is ok for me. My costs would be around $ 150.00

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%