Help!!! Can't Make A Bow For The Life Of Me.

Decorating By bulldog Updated 29 Sep 2005 , 10:14am by vitade

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 12:48am
post #1 of 7

I have read all of the well written step-by-step articles on bow making, and still I can't do it. I understand the concept, but I think my medium is all wrong. I have been using straight MMF. From everything I have been reading you all are saying to add GumPaste. Does that mean make the MMF, make the Gum Paste, combine them, roll out, cut the strips, and so forth? Please, give me an answer that a 10 year old could understand. I just need some help. Sorry, I sound so crazy. Thanks!

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 12:53am
post #2 of 7

Try using straight gumpaste, the MMF is just too soft to hold itself like the gumpaste will. Make sure to dry your bow loops befor assembling it will make a big difference

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 12:58am
post #3 of 7

Thanks, how long do you usually let yours dry? I have been asked to make a small wedding cake for a lady at my husband's office, and I really want to make a good impression. If the cake goes over, I'm sure that I will get many more orders. Thanks again, I will let you know if and how it turns out.

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 12:59am
post #4 of 7

bulldog,
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't make a nice bow. I tried with fondant and my piece's kept breaking on me, at the end I only had a few loops left and not enought to work with. Next time I will use gumpaste as Peg suggested.
thanks the posting
Judy

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:59am
post #5 of 7

You mean it isn't just me?? I have tried and tried to get one of these made, to no avail. Maybe I should try again using the gumtex instead, too. Thanks for the advice,peg818!!

Tanya

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 9:13am
post #6 of 7

gumpaste doesn't take long to dry it should dry overnight, but it really depends on how humid your enviroment is. The more humidity the longer the dry time. I hang mine on a pasta drying rack, using wilton plastic dowels as support for the loops. I use about 20 loops to a bow that will fit a 6in cake. Glue together with chocolate it hardens much quicker then royal and you should have less breakage

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 10:14am
post #7 of 7

If you add Gum-tex to your MMF, it will harden.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%