Do I Need To Torte?

Baking By juliewiens Updated 19 May 2015 , 4:28pm by SquirrellyCakes

juliewiens Posted 16 May 2015 , 5:02am
post #1 of 10

I am a simple home baker. However, I have been asked to do a wedding cake for my friend. I was going to do a simple 2 tier. This weekend I am doing a trial run of the cake. To give each tier height I baked 3 - 8" rounds and 3 - 6" rounds. It never even occurred to me that I should cut each layer in half. Would it be better to do 2 rounds torted vs 3 rounds?

Hope that isn't confusing.

9 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 16 May 2015 , 6:12am
post #2 of 10

Torting give a more elegant "dainty" presentation. Normally, it is 4 layers of cake with icing between each layer. Normally, depending on recipes, I use each baked layer, split in half. So you bake 2 quantity, 8" rounds, split each in half (torte) and end up with 4 layers. Each about 3/4", adding 1/4" icing and get a nice 4" high cake. 

leah_s Posted 16 May 2015 , 11:52am
post #3 of 10

^ that's what I do.  More professional looking and less grocery store looking.

kakeladi Posted 16 May 2015 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 10

I understand the 'more pro' looking but if you have to transport this cake any distance you might be better using your 3 layers instead of 2 torted.  I mean since this is your 1st and all you might have less chance of a transporting accident. 

kakeladi Posted 16 May 2015 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 10

Oh tall are these layers?  You usually want a tier to be 4" tall so if your layers are 2" tall each than using 3 will look different - especially with the 8" and smaller rounds or sqs.

MinaBakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 10

"Usually" yes, but now a days you see tiers as tall as 6 to 8 inches tall, so it might not be too bad. Anyway, how many guests are you feeding?

johnson6ofus Posted 19 May 2015 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 10

Quote by @leah_s on 3 days ago

^ that's what I do.  More professional looking and less grocery store looking.

It's all about the presentation. Torting is a nice, easy "extra step" that adds to the plated presentation. Why wouldn't you torte? This is a special occasion and the special presentation is important.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 10

Interesting opinions.

I find that a lot of people I do cakes for prefer either one layer no filling or just one layer of filling in a cake. Mainly to cut down on the sweet/calories.  I also find that a lot of people are going back to 3 or 4 inch layers. Guess it depends on where you live and who you do cakes for.

I never thought of it as being unprofessional if you don't  have all of those layers - just a matter of taste.  But then in the 50's and 60's stay- at- home moms were making those seven layer cakes. I have recipes and cookbooks from those times with just such recipes. Isn't  it funny how things change over time?

johnson6ofus Posted 19 May 2015 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 10

I just think most people (USA) see the layers as "fancy" as opposed to "grocery store" like Leah said. Any presentation that gives you an edge is a winner.

It may be cultural too. Some cultures do not "go for" that much icing. My mom hated all the icing, but she just "ate around it". My hubby also hates icing. But I see it like the parsley or lemon wedge on the side of the plate... not really used, but for presentation points (I never use the lemon, but I know some do). 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 10

I am in Canada and I think even the city, town, province, state and country make a difference.  

It is interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%