Wilton Fondant And Gumpaste Class

Decorating By cashley Updated 1 Feb 2007 , 10:29pm by cakerator

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 28

Hi I am so excited I just registered to take the fondant and gumpaste class but the stupid people at the store didn't know what supplies I needed for my first class. Is there any wilton instructors out there that know what I need??????

27 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 28

Hello,
i am not an instructor but I have the class supply list from when I signed up.

You need:

Tools from your kitchen:
Reusable disposable cloths
2 TBSP white vegetable shortening
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP powdered sugar
toothpicks
corsage pin
scissors
scotch tape
plastic food strage wrap
2 or 3 gallon food storage bags
2 or 3 quart food storage bags

ICINGS
1 package of White fondant (24 oz. size)
1 Fondant multi pack (Primary or pastel)
P. gel or White p. gel tube

DECORATING SUPPLIES
Fondant and gumpaste student kit
12 inch cake circles (1 package) + facifoil OR 12" silver cake bases
Roll and cut mat
20" rolling pin
small Angled spatula
Tapered Spatula
Disposable Decorating Gloves (optional)

This is the list I got from Michael's when I signed up.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 28

just a comment: if you are talking about a michaels or other such craft stores, most of those "stupid people" as you call them don't have anything to do with the cake classes. They are clerks and cashiers and stockpeople. If you ask them for a specific item, odds are they can tell you where it is or help you find it, but I think it is asking a bit much to expect all of them to know what supplies are required for every type of class they offer. Might want to cut them a break.

another alternatve: contact Wilton directlty: http://www.wilton.com/contact/index.cfm

cashley Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

just a comment: if you are talking about a michaels or other such craft stores, most of those "stupid people" as you call them don't have anything to do with the cake classes. They are clerks and cashiers and stockpeople. If you ask them for a specific item, odds are they can tell you where it is or help you find it, but I think it is asking a bit much to expect all of them to know what supplies are required for every type of class they offer. Might want to cut them a break.

another alternatve: contact Wilton directlty: http://www.wilton.com/contact/index.cfm

Sorry have had many problems with the people at the store including not knowing how to ring up classes in the cash register and not giving the supply list they are suppose to give us. They didn't know how much the class was either, I had 6 people trying to figure it all out for me. Lack of training maybe I should have said....sorry about the stupid should have said unknowledgable people.

cashley Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks cake angel just what I needed

cake-angel Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:22am
post #6 of 28

No trouble!! Glad to help.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:40am
post #7 of 28

I'm bad about saying "stupid" it's just a bad habit that some of us fall in.

I always try to look at it as being poor store managing.

I had the same problem. Went there first time and was told they could not find info on the classs that was starting Feb 5th.

Went second time told there is no such class. I asked them to please look anyway. They came back with yea, your right and signed me up.

And here I thought it's just me.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:44am
post #8 of 28

They don't remember to give the class curriculum/supply lists which btw also give you a 10% coupon to use for the entire time frame of the class....

Janette Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:47am
post #9 of 28

I know JoAnn does, this is my first class at Michael's.

The girl told me that Michael's is the only one offering this class?

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:52am
post #10 of 28

Can someone post what is in the kit? I don't want to have to buy a kit if I already have all the tools I need.

I too tried to sign up last Saturday but they didn't even have February's calendars out yet. I had to go to the classroom to look at the one that was posted on the wall. Then I tried to sign up and they didn't have the sign up sheets ready. I know it's not the cashiers' fault but I don't think trying to sign up a week before the class starts is asking too much.

Anyway, the Wilton instructor there is awesome and she's become a good friend too. That's why I keep going back.

Janette Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:57am
post #11 of 28

Notice that it's the same way all over the country. So I guess it's not local managment, more like Corporate management.

cake-angel Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:01am
post #12 of 28

The kit has the following items in it:

Metal Round, leaf, heart and daisy cutters (Cut-outs)
Plastic Daisy Cutters
Thin shaping foam
Ball and veining tool
Dusting pouch
20 flower stamens
Fondant decorative punch set
Fondant ribbon cutter and embosser

That's the kit. HTH!!!

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:16am
post #13 of 28

Thanks Cake-Angel. I do have all that stuff except the dusting pouch (which I can improvise) and the embosser (which I do not want).

You've helped a bunch. Thanks again.

Yvette

cake-angel Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:13pm
post #14 of 28

You are very welcome.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:36pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Michaels will be the only one offering this class until May, I believe, at which time the other stores will begin teaching the classes.

The sign up sheets are the stores EC and instructors responsibilty, as is having the 10% off sheets/supply lists in the book. If your store doesn't have them I'd contact either the EC or the Instructor.

As far as cashiers, in my 2.5 years of teaching I we have had some awesome cashiers and we have had some that just didn't get it. It is a lack of training in the store. It is not an excuse, just saying. I know at our store a lot of times they get thrown up there with very little guidence and are doing the best they can.

I would let the Instructor or even the manager know about the trouble you had signing up. They need to be aware that there is a issue there. I can't promise that that will get it fixed, but I do know if students don't let me know they had trouble signing up, I can't address it.

Hope you enjoy the class!! icon_smile.gif

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 28

I'm an instructor for A.C. Moore and A.C. Moore will be offering the this class in a few months

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 28

Hi ladies,

I signed up for the class over the weekend and the instructor for this class didn't even have a supplies list available. They were going to have the instructor contact me and let me know what I need for the first class... the instructor for this class is new I should be patient but I just think its odd that she doesnt have the supply list ready... I signed up on Saturday and I still havent heard from her... I'm worried icon_sad.gif

Mimi

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 28

Mimi,
I'm sorry you are having a problem getting the supply list. At the beginning of this thread the list of what you need the first night was posted. This is the list that should be given out at sign up.

The Sylabuses (sp) that are handed out to the students at sign up are actually printed off the Michaels Intranet, and the instructors have to get the EC or a manager to print them out for us. So the instructor may not have recieved her copies of it yet.

But don't worry, just follow the above list and you will have what you need for Lesson 1. icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:36pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Michaels will be the only one offering this class until May, I believe, at which time the other stores will begin teaching the classes.

The sign up sheets are the stores EC and instructors responsibilty, as is having the 10% off sheets/supply lists in the book. If your store doesn't have them I'd contact either the EC or the Instructor.

As far as cashiers, in my 2.5 years of teaching I we have had some awesome cashiers and we have had some that just didn't get it. It is a lack of training in the store. It is not an excuse, just saying. I know at our store a lot of times they get thrown up there with very little guidence and are doing the best they can.

I would let the Instructor or even the manager know about the trouble you had signing up. They need to be aware that there is a issue there. I can't promise that that will get it fixed, but I do know if students don't let me know they had trouble signing up, I can't address it.

Hope you enjoy the class!! icon_smile.gif

You are correct in this course is exclusive to Michael's Arts and Crafts stores only until May 2007. I'm very excited about teaching this course. I have my kit, books, supply lists and sign up sheets are already at the front register of the store and the kits are already available on the shelves. I've been working with the Event Coordinator and the store manager to make sure we're on track and ready to do the course beginning in February icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:59pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I'm very excited about teaching this course. I have my kit, books, supply lists and sign up sheets are already at the front register of the store and the kits are already available on the shelves. I've been working with the Event Coordinator and the store manager to make sure we're on track and ready to do the course beginning in February icon_smile.gif

I totally agree! I'm excited about this new course. I start teaching my first one in two weeks and have already gather most of my supplies at home and am working on fiting it all into the box I bought for it.

My sign up sheets and supply list are ready and in the book for Feb and March. April will be added as soon as I get the sheet from my EC. We have plenty of kits and books to get started. But I have learned while talking with other instructors (and seeing things on this board) that I have a very good store that works with me very well.

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:06am
post #21 of 28

Thanks Texas Sugar!! I appreciate your help!! I will go off of your list...

Mimi

TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:57am
post #22 of 28

icon_smile.gif Enjoy the class!

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 4:21pm
post #23 of 28

Did I miss something or did someone just forget to type it?
I didn't see anywhere that one of the items you will need for the class is gumpaste. I thought this was supposed to be a fondant/gumpaste class? Are they only going to teach how to make the flowers out of fondant?
I have been hesitant to sign up for the class because I was making gumpaste flowers months before the teacher ever learned so I definately didn't want to be her "test student".
So if your telling me that they aren't even going to be working with gumpaste I'm definately not taking the class.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 6:45pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys_world

Did I miss something or did someone just forget to type it?
I didn't see anywhere that one of the items you will need for the class is gumpaste. I thought this was supposed to be a fondant/gumpaste class? Are they only going to teach how to make the flowers out of fondant?
I have been hesitant to sign up for the class because I was making gumpaste flowers months before the teacher ever learned so I definately didn't want to be her "test student".
So if your telling me that they aren't even going to be working with gumpaste I'm definately not taking the class.

Gum paste is not needed for the first night, and that is what that supply list is for. Gum paste will be need for the remaining classes.

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:09pm
post #25 of 28

Well this is what previous posts say is needed:
Supply List
You need:

Tools from your kitchen:
Reusable disposable cloths
2 TBSP white vegetable shortening
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP powdered sugar
toothpicks
corsage pin
scissors
scotch tape
plastic food strage wrap
2 or 3 gallon food storage bags
2 or 3 quart food storage bags

ICINGS
1 package of White fondant (24 oz. size)
1 Fondant multi pack (Primary or pastel)
P. gel or White p. gel tube

DECORATING SUPPLIES
Fondant and gumpaste student kit
12 inch cake circles (1 package) + facifoil OR 12" silver cake bases
Roll and cut mat
20" rolling pin
small Angled spatula
Tapered Spatula
Disposable Decorating Gloves (optional)

The kit has the following items in it:
Metal Round, leaf, heart and daisy cutters (Cut-outs)
Plastic Daisy Cutters
Thin shaping foam
Ball and veining tool
Dusting pouch
20 flower stamens
Fondant decorative punch set
Fondant ribbon cutter and embosser

So what flowers does the class teach? All of the flowers in the Wilton Gumpaste book have cutters, (none of the flowers are finger shaped) so are they only teaching the Daisy and leaves?

TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:19pm
post #26 of 28

As was mentioned in the previous post, this list is ONLY for the supplies needed for the FIRST night of class. After that the weekly supply lists are in the lesson plan book. I posted in another thread in the general section a 'shopping' list I am handing out ot my students for most of the things they need for the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys_world

So what flowers does the class teach? All of the flowers in the Wilton Gumpaste book have cutters, (none of the flowers are finger shaped) so are they only teaching the Daisy and leaves?

The flowers in this course are the carnation, daisy and the fantasy flower. They are using the new Cut-out cutters for the carnation (rounds) and the fantasy flower (hearts).

These are not the same flowers as the Wilton Gum Paste kit with the green cutters. They are a newer way of doing the flowers.

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:50pm
post #27 of 28

I am excited about taking this class. It will not be offered here Until March or April the instructor said she needed to be trained first. That part scares me a little but i am hoping for the best.

MC

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:29pm
post #28 of 28

this thread has been a huge help to me. i have my first gumpaste/fondant soon, and my michaels gave me NOTHING in the way of a list! icon_mad.gif but they sure took my money fast!
anywho, this thread has helped me immensely. thank you icon_biggrin.gif
i can't wait!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%