Rum Cake Please!!

Baking By CakePrincess16 Updated 20 May 2015 , 8:51pm by -K8memphis

CakePrincess16 Posted 15 May 2015 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 7

Hi cake fam! So I have 2 orders for Rum cake and while there are tons of recipes online I was wondering if u all could help me with a tried and true easy recipe? Also, they need to be decorated. I always thought the best topping for rum cake was meringue but they don't want that. One of them is a gender reveal cake and one is a University of Miami what do I use to cover it? Can I use fondant on these cakes? I'm out of my  omfort zone here...I don't even really like rum cake!  Thanx all!/

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2015 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 7

rum cake usually makes up into a bundt cake -- but i have made it into layers and decorated it -- in fact it was a giant cake maybe a 14" -- one tier but really tall half chocolate and half vanilla -- at that time i used the bacardi rum recipe with cake mix as described -- it's just the best so i never tested any others -- i think i used the different puddings as fillings -- but i have made it using a scratch recipe too -- love good rum cake -- 

when i make the bundt cake i use finely ground toasted coconut and pecans combined with flour and some butter and i smash this into the sides of the well greased pan and it gives a wonderful slightly crisp sweet crustiness -- goes well under the glaze --

if you make the bacardi glaze -- use it hot/warm -- it sets up after it cools

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2015 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 7
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2015 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 7

oh and remember that the cake mixes now are approx 1/5 less than when these recipes were developed so there's that too

SquirrellyCakes Posted 15 May 2015 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 7

Quote by @-K8memphis on 8 hours ago

oh and remember that the cake mixes now are approx 1/5 less than when these recipes were developed so there's that too

Made this recipe three weeks ago using Duncan  Hines mix and it still worked fine.

CakePrincess16 Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 7

Thanx for the advice! Ok so being that I can't do a bundt cake since its for decorated cakes...will the rum absorb completely? Im just thinking I can't layer a cake that will be oozing the syrup. I have to put fondant on it, or at the very least crusting buttercream. 

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 7

a simple syrup rum splash will absorb all the way -- the glaze that's in the bacardi recipe that you cook sets up on the cake so you are correct that's it's not a good fit for a fondanted cake -- that's what i meant by "adjust (the components) as needed" --

and yes it's great that as far as i know all of the doctored mixes work ok with the lesser or greater amounts of cake mix and doctoring ingredients -- another facet of this is that you have the flexiblity to make a little more or a little less batter -- easier to get the exact right amounts -- more math more thinking :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%