Explane This Please!!!!!!!

Decorating By RubySue Updated 30 Sep 2005 , 9:49am by ThePastryDiva

RubySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubySue Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 12

I've read everyone's post about this Viva paper towel trick but no one explanes it in detail (unless I missed that post) Could someone please explaine this in plane english and vivid detail? or post the link?? It would be much obliged!!!

11 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 12

Hi RubySue,
This technique is also called faux fondant when you're using it on the entire cake, not just to smooth a bump or 2. Here's the link the instructions on this site.

http://cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant.html

Have fun with it!

Ali

RubySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubySue Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 12

thanks oodles and oodles!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you! I was wondering the same thing. I am sure going to give this a try.
Thanks,
Crystal

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 2:26am
post #5 of 12

You can also use a piece of parchment paper for this. When I taught classes we took a parchment paper triangle to smooth the cake..

one of many techniques out there...

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 2:38am
post #6 of 12

I recently tried using wax paper and absolutely loved it! icon_lol.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 2:57am
post #7 of 12

I have posted two wedding cakes I did with the faux fondant method. I used the Crusted Buttercream II recipe in the recipe section of this site. What I love about the Viva, and don't get using parchment paper, is the stretch for shaping the curved edge of my cakes. I find that I can stretch the towel over the edge and smoothe with the flat of my hand and get my curve more cleanly than with anything else I've tried. I also trim the edge down just a little first. Kind of hard to explain but I love how easily it works for me. I don't use smoothers because I don't feel I have as much control that way. I use my hands and the Viva towels. I'l never mess with rolled to cover a cake after using this method. You can see the cakes I used this on in my album. It's the only two wedding cakes I've done so far.

Fawnwittwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fawnwittwins Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 5:08am
post #8 of 12

I have never been able to find viva paper towel that do not have any designs on them. I came up with another way use the blue or i prefer white shop towels on a roll that you get in the auto department. I think that they work better than regular paper towels because they strech alot and are more durable.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 6:00am
post #9 of 12

Fawn-I know I could find Viva if I ever remembered to look while I'm at the store, so I've used the blue shop towels, too. Didn't know they even made them in white, and wouldn't think they were different. You're right, though. They do stretch quite a bit more than regular paper towels.

Ali

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 6:35am
post #10 of 12

I am taking a class right now and one of my teachers said you can also use the tissue paper you use to wrap presents with. I haven't tried it...cause I always just use VIVA. But it seems like it might work pretty good.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 4:55am
post #11 of 12

Something I've learned from using papertowels.. Sometimes they will have lent on them! Not a pretty sight!! The cake was the Teddy bear wedding cake w/ roses all around it. I didn't notice it til right before I left for the church!!! Me & DH were picking lint off of it before packing it in the van!! I was so worried it was all through the icing. I'm sure it was. No one complained so I guess they didn't notice it. Thank goodness!! So be careful for lent or any other thing that could be on your viva!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 9:49am
post #12 of 12

TcTurtleshell...

That's the reason I use parchment paper triangles when I have them...or just plain parchment paper. No lint!

and even if the cake has been sitting for a while, the warmth of my hand through the parchment paper makes everything ok.

the only time I worry about it now is when I need a smooth surface to airbrush.

another good technique is the hot spatula.

You get something deep enough to submerger your spatula, fill with boiling hot water and dip your spatula in the hot water, you have your paper towel on your other hand....swipe the wet spatula on the dry towel and pass the hot, dry spatula across the top of your cake.

No lint and it works like a hot knife through butter!..lol

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%