Candy Clay / Meltys Fondant - What Now?

Decorating By ilithiya Updated 4 Mar 2005 , 1:06am by GHOST_USER_NAME

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 4

Just did my first batch of candy clay.

Whoa.

I set my Merckens melts and karo in an aluminum bowl set in a pot of boiling water... every thing went fine until I noticed that just before the melts completely dissolved that it went grainy! I'm thinking to myself, what the heck? I decided to keep on with it anyway, and turned out this milky, oily, grainy mass onto a plate and let it cool for a few minutes.

I cannot believe how much oil and water came out of that mess!! It took me five minutes of squishing and kneading a handful of this goop over the sink to get most of the oil out... and magically, it goes un-grainy and smooth and such a delight to play with.

For those of you who have never played with this stuff, it's like yummy edible downright delicious playdoh with manners! Woot!

Anyway, I want to roll it out and put it on a cake. It's incredibly sticky right now, and I'm not sure if it'll stop being sticky or if it'll get worse. Do I roll it out with cornstarch or powdered sugar, or does it matter? Should I roll it out between two sheets of mylar stencil plastic? I don't want to introduce any more oil into the stuff, and I fear for the life of my little wooden roller thingy.

Thanks for the help, and any suggestions or tips anyone may have would be soooo appreciated. I really want to use this stuff on my wedding cake in April, and I want to get the hang of it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Thanks!
Illy

3 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 4

My candy clay instructions state to leave overnight. It was oily when I wrapped it but the next morning it was fine.

What recipe are you using?

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 12:21am
post #3 of 4

Just the standard 14oz melts & 1/3 cup karo. I think that partially where I may have gone differently is I melted the candy and the karo at the same time, and every recipe I've checked after the fact instructs to melt the chocolate, take it off the heat, and then fold in the karo.

*shrugs* It seems to be fine, and the way I did it doesn't really bother me enough to consider changing it. The up side is instead of waiting, I know I can use it immediately. icon_smile.gif

Illy

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 1:06am
post #4 of 4

I'm anxious though to see how it will be tomorrow- after it has set for the prescribed over night. If your way works, I'd love to try it.

Report to back to us, please. This is very interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%