Unbelievable Cookies

Baking By kbselig Updated 30 Jan 2007 , 8:01pm by ckkerber

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:47pm
post #31 of 53

Absolutley Beautiful!!! I would love to take classes from her!!

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:48pm
post #32 of 53

Whoa

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:49pm
post #33 of 53

well nancysfancy...it looks as though you have a following. so when are the classes?....LOL

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:57pm
post #34 of 53

OMG-
Those are the most amazing cookies i've ever seen!
I love, love, love them.
Please teach me.

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:59pm
post #35 of 53

kbselig: My husband does the baking and the cutting if the job is very big. We did about 800 of one busy design and 500 of three simpler ones in a couple of weeks in December for a big caterer. Time varies with complexity, of course, and I do batches (never one at a time).

kneadacookie: Thanks for commenting on the whimsey factor -- that is very important to me, what I consider my signature. I use marker from time to time, but it is not a major tool for me.

Nancy's Fancy Cookies & Cakes

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:06pm
post #36 of 53

Beautiful cookies and cakes. You have an amazing talent.

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:08pm
post #37 of 53

Oh NancysFancy - welcome and thank you for being part of CC. I agree, this is a great place to be for those of us who work alone. I hope you will enjoy being part of CC - we're honored and grateful to have your participation. Congratulations on finding a wonderful new outlet for your incredible talent!

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:52pm
post #38 of 53

I emailed Nancy when I initially saw the thread, I'm so happy she's joined CC!

kneadacookie Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:55pm
post #39 of 53

yes very happy to see you hear nancy. maybe we'll all learn a little from you. you are truly talented

CindyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyM Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 8:16pm
post #40 of 53

I just spent about an hour looking at about every single photo on Nancy's web site! Awesome!! (But my how time flies when I'm on this web site and need to do other things on a Sunday afternoon!) It's nice to know that even professional illustrators get addicted to cookie decorating! Welcome, Nancy, we will all be waiting to hear your advice. Do you outline the cookie first and then flood? And do you use a special recipe for your royal icing? It looked like a few details my have been fondant? I read that you work about 60 hours a week - great to know that your husband is supporting you and helping out. FYI - I live near to Kirkwood and ran into Nancy Englebreit shopping at my Michael's. Of course, I was buying Wilton stuff and she was buying art stuff!

NancysFancy Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:19am
post #41 of 53

Thanks so much for the compliments, all.

My husband maintains my web site -- I'm pretty computer illiterate and I've never spent more than a minute looking at it, so it's nice to hear some independent confirmation that it is OK icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM

Do you outline the cookie first and then flood? And do you use a special recipe for your royal icing? It looked like a few details my have been fondant?

I always outline first and then flood. No special recipe for royal; I use meringue powder, not raw egg whites. Some details for the fancier cookies are with fondant -- good eye!

I have a question, for anyone who has worked with royal icing: when I outline and flood a very narrow area the drying process creates a sink hole sometimes -- not always, but enough to mar the look of many cookies and drive me insane. Any ideas? I'd be most grateful to hear from anyone who's had the same problem -- and figured out how to solve it.

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:00am
post #42 of 53

Yes! I have the same problem and I posted this question in December. I have noticed that it only happens in smaller areas, too. It really bums me out. Unfortunately, I have not come up with a solution ... yet!

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:30am
post #43 of 53

Nancy! Welcome to the family. Your cookies are outstanding. You must have tremendous patience! And what a husband to help you out like that. May I ask how he makes the cookie cutters? I would love to have my hubby churn out a couple for me. I have them in my head, but have not been able to find the cutter. Verry frustrating. You are an artist and an inspiration. Amazing work!

kneadacookie Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:54am
post #44 of 53

i'm glad to hear it's not just me with the sink hole problem. how comepletely frustrating to work so long on a cookie to come back later and have a giant crater in a tiny spot that matters enough for me to put it there in the first place. i'd love to hear if anybody knows the answer.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 12:51pm
post #45 of 53

You're artwork....I just can't call it a cookie....is magnificent. They are like murals on a wall, art in a museum...you are very talented, like the Van Gogh of cookies. If I could be 1/4 as talented as you I would be ecstatic. Your cakes are gorgeous too...I really like the 3tiered with the painted flowers.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:03pm
post #46 of 53

Oh, Oh, Oh, I am so excited to be able to answer a question from someone so talented.

The holes are from air that is trapped. Just either use a toothpick of your tip if small enough to gently swirl the or drag the icing to release the pent up air that will let you have sink holes. It it is a bit more work, but you obviously have the patience of a saint.

Thank you for answering our questions and best of luck to you in your business.

Julia

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:42pm
post #47 of 53

Wow those are amazing! Patience of a saint is saying it all-I would not have the patience to create works of art on such a small canvas! They are absolutely incredible!!

NancysFancy Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:48pm
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielynnfields

And what a husband to help you out like that. May I ask how he makes the cookie cutters? I would love to have my hubby churn out a couple for me.

Well, it is handy to have a handy man around. He has posted pictures of the cutters he has done for me and the tools he uses here.

Nancy
Nancy's Fancy Cookies & Cakes

Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:26pm
post #49 of 53

THis Nancy is my hero! I could look at her cookies all day long. It looks like a lot of them are colored in, rather than one base color and the rest as details. crazy!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:01pm
post #50 of 53

I already put your website in my favorites!!!

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:46pm
post #51 of 53

welcome Nancy! & your cookies are a work of art! beautiful...

faithsfancifuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithsfancifuls Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:59pm
post #52 of 53

Nancy, your cookies are so inspirational. It is an honor to have you on this site!! I hope you love this site as much as the rest of us!! icon_biggrin.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:01pm
post #53 of 53

I agree, Nancy. You are a master at your craft. Your cookies are spectacular!

Regarding making your own cutters, there was a post on CC about making cookie cutters for anyone who is interested:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49118-cookie.html+cutters

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%