Please Help!! I Need An Edible Printer Asap!!

Decorating By Mirlacen Updated 16 Jun 2015 , 1:30am by icingimages

Mirlacen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mirlacen Posted 13 May 2015 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 20

Okay so it's 2015 and I am in search of a good edible printer. Is there any new ones out there that anyone can recommend?

I have been doing some research but the more research I do, the more I am lost. Please help!

I will be printing 1 to 4 sheets a week and sometimes none at all.

I would like to use it for both wafer paper and icing sheets.

Can you guys pleease send me some links of a good edible printer, the best icing sheets and some wafer paper?

I would really appreciate it! Thank youu in advance!!

19 replies
mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 13 May 2015 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 20

I'd love to see this topic get some time...bump.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 May 2015 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 20

Go to icingimages.com, they have a ton of information on their site to help you buy the right type of equipment for what you need.

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 13 May 2015 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 20

I have ordered an epson from inkedibles. Mine should be here friday. Ill let you know what i think!!!!!

costumeczar Posted 14 May 2015 , 1:33am
post #5 of 20

If you're looking for specific model numbers, I have a Canon 5520 and I really like it. I use it a lot, though, so I don't know how it would do if I was only using it a few times a month.

Mirlacen Posted 14 May 2015 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 20

Pleaase and thank you!! Much appreciated..

Mirlacen Posted 14 May 2015 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 20

Quote by @costumeczar on 20 hours ago

If you're looking for specific model numbers, I have a Canon 5520 and I really like it. I use it a lot, though, so I don't know how it would do if I was only using it a few times a month.

Do you use the ink with the sponges @costmeczar?

costumeczar Posted 15 May 2015 , 2:12am
post #8 of 20

Quote by @Mirlacen on 3 hours ago

Quote by @costumeczar on 20 hours ago

Do you use the ink with the sponges @costmeczar?

Yes, and I use the ink refills too, they work great.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 18 May 2015 , 11:12am
post #9 of 20

HI there!

Thank you Custumeczar for recommending Icing Images. Let me see if I can help you withouth confusing you more.  One of the reasons that it can get confusing is that technology is ever changing and so if you look at older posts, they can be misleading because things have changed!!!!

Printers;  Canon vs Epson:  Canon all the way.  Sorry Justpracticecakes.   The reason hands down is that the printhead is removable so if you do get a clog, you can clean it.  While both models have cleaning methods through the printer, when that fails to work, you will need to clean it manually.  You cannot do it successfully with an Epson. In addition, we just started having to make small modifications to the printers due to changes with the Canon Printers. 

Cartridges: Someone Mentioned sponges.  This is a good example of an old topic that can get confusing as it became a fad to go without, but too many problems caused us to go back to a sponged cartridge.  While we carry a cartridge design that is spongeless (no inner sponge) with wick  and we carried a less succesful one that didnt even have a wick for a period of time, we found that some customers had problems and we were not satisfied with that so our newer generations of cartridges do have a sponge.  The only reason  that  we still carry them is that some customers are still using them them, but with the newer series of cartridges and with adjustments to our ink, we found much more success and longevity of printers with the cartridge with the sponge.

Inks:  The supplies and the service are a large part of your decision on what to use in your printer.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE our inks.  Icing Images never ever stops trying to improve.  Even when things are awesome we still try and find ways to make things better.  Now I feel we have the best - but I am sure we will find a way to improve them.  If you have used our inks or seen our inks used at a convention, you will notice how vivid and true our colors are.  Also, if you use our inks at least every week or two you will notice that they do not clog as much actually seldom.  All edible inks will eventually clog as they do not have the chemicals in them that are toxic to totally prevent clogs (non edibles do clog too!). But we feel ours have a great track record of reduced number of clogs.  Well I am sure we will find a way to show that the best is never good enough.  Alcohol vs no alcohols in ink.  Alcohol.  There was a time that we went without due to cartridge claims of bacteria free.  Well if your cartridge has a sponge or not, If your ink does not contain a food safe cleaning agent it may be at risk for growth.  There was a time that too much alcohol was causing premature printhead burnout, however  just the right amount keeps things cleans.  In addition, alcohol is a key ingredient in preventing color changing after the image is printed.  It stops chemical reactions and holds the true color.  So when you print, after you let the picture sit, you will see your image turn to have a greenish hue if you do not have the alcohol to prevent it.

Paper:  There are two types of edible paper.  Icing Sheets and Wafer Paper.  They go by many names.  But Icing Sheets have sugar in them.  Wafer paper is made of potato.  Some people call it rice paper, but wafer papers main ingredient is potato starch. Icing Sheets do vary by manufacturer.  Ours are Premium Icing Sheets(tm).  It is a flexible icing sheet that allows you to do so much more than other brands as it is thicker and does not crack as quickly as others do.  Ours also taste like vanilla so they work well with your sugar art.  Premium Icing Sheets offer a larger print surface. They also come in colored lusters so you can use them for edible paper art (which is a whole new topic, go to our website at www.icingimages.com for more information).   Wafer paper....Well all wafer paper is not the same.  There are different thicknesses and the thicker the wafer paper, the harder it is to use.  So if you tried some and hated it, try our brand. Wafer paper is great for adding accents to your cake that need to hold their shape.  Our wafer paper is the only wafer paper in the US that comes in white as well as 5 different colors.  Wafer paper like icing sheets can be printed on as well, but the icing sheet prints are much more vibrant.  In addition, have you ever tasted wafer paper?  Ours is the only wafer paper in the US that is flavored as well!  Tastes like vanilla.

Printing programs!  Are you a graphics artist? Do you use or even know graphics programs so you can print?  Most people...are not or do not!  Icing Images offers iPrint free for our customers who use our paper.  If you do not you can buy in to it at a very low price.  But it is a web based program that was designed around edible printing.  You can add text, print multiple different images on the round circles that have several circles on a page, you can add borders, and so much more!  And then there is iDesigns while it is not free, it was designed around what sugar artists needs are.  Choose from over 1600 different images that are licensed for edible use!  Print seamless borders, create designer cupcakes, change heights and widths of images.  These program is great for offering more pizazz to your cakes!

Service! While we are not perfect, we do our best to give our customers EXCELLENT service! Call us and you will see.  We get letters daily from our happy customers! We even have a weekly email for anyone who subscribes offering discounts, education and pretty cakes and tutorials from top level decorators such as CMSA, Peggy Tucker, CMSA Mike Terry, Edna De la Cruz, Chef Mitchie Curan, Marsha and Roland Winbeckler, Sidney Galpern, Terry Tarbox, and soooooo many more! 

I hope that I did not make things more confusing by over explaining, but edible printing comes down to three key elements, Printer type (mg5620and the 6620 is the most current Canon models), quality of products both ink and paper, printing programs and service. With edible printing it is very true, you do get what you pay for, there are several companies that have popped up over the last few years offering cheaper ink, expect to find with those companies, colors that are less vibrant, less true and clog more.  Clogs cost you money and time, it is always better to prevent them.  Choosing quality will save you time, money, and frustration.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am sure I left something out but I am here to help, or you can PM me or call our office, we will be glad to help (even if you dont use our products, we do our best to help!)

Thanks and Happy Printing!

Samarambula Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samarambula Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 11:52am
post #10 of 20

Just be sure to get all of the information before getting started. Sometimes the cartridges don't work right out of the box and need venting. Unfortunately there isn't any info that comes with the cartridges or online regarding this process so you could waste ink and have to refill the cartidges before getting your first print which is extremely frustrating.

Good Luck!

icingimages Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 20

We do send instructions with every new printer and set of cartridges that get sent out.  New printer customers actually get a CD with all instructions on everything that we suggest!

CindyA98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyA98 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 20

Sorry, I'm new to the world of printing on icing sheets.  I have a Canon 5520 and I've never been able to get it to print right :-(  Won't print any red/pink/magenta.  I've let the printer "clean itself" like suggested and it still won't work.  Suggestions???  Once I get it working (if), should I remove the ink cartridges when I'm not printing?

icingimages Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 20

HI Cindy,

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your printer.  The 5520 is an older printer, a few years, not too old, but first you have to make sure you are using it regularly. IT sounds like you have a clog in the printhead that you will need to get it out with.  Whose product are you using?  Different manufacturers of ink are have different recommendations.  For Icing Images, we require using the printers about every week to two weeks.  We do not want you to take the ink out of the printhead when its not in use, just leave it in there.  We have particular settings, for our inks as well.  Have you contacted who you bought it from?  When was the last time you used it?

CindyA98 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 20

I actually have never used the printer.  I set it up then left it for probably a month or more.  How do I clean the printhead?  I promise if you help me fix this I will print once a week faithfully :-)

icingimages Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 20

Oh sweet heart, I am assuming you put the ink in it.  If thats the case, the cartridges are probably dead and the printhead may be really clogged. Our service department is quiet,  Call my office at 540-869-5511 and tell them Debbie was talking to you can cake central and asked them to help you with as much info as possible to get you through this.  I have too many questions, its best handled over the phone!  Make sure you are near your printer.  We will do our best for you.

icingimages Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 20

Oh sweet heart, I am assuming you put the ink in it.  If thats the case, the cartridges are probably dead and the printhead may be really clogged. Our service department is quiet,  Call my office at 540-869-5511 and tell them Debbie was talking to you can cake central and asked them to help you with as much info as possible to get you through this.  I have too many questions, its best handled over the phone!  Make sure you are near your printer.  We will do our best for you.

CindyA98 Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 9:53am
post #17 of 20

Thank you so much Debbie!  I'll call as soon as I get home from work today :-)

icingimages Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 11:00am
post #18 of 20

We are open 9-5 EST....

CindyA98 Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 3:20pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks!!!

icingimages Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 1:30am
post #20 of 20

Oh, by the way, we just put our printers on sale for a limited time!!! Visit www.icingimages.com for more information!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%