Help Needed Designing Cake

Decorating By marya92 Updated 13 May 2015 , 8:27pm by craftybanana2

marya92 Posted 13 May 2015 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 4

I just had a customer order a sheet cake and she gave me a bunch of information and I'm not sure how to include everything she wants and make it look good. It's for her daughter who is getting her PhD and it's supposed to be a cake about her journey thus far. She wants me to write "There once was a girl who loves to write" in the top corner. In the middle she wants something about her daughter teaching in New Orleans and Washington DC. Then in the bottom corner she wants me to write "There was a young woman who loved to write" and have it going off in the distance. She also wants her name, Dr. N_____ and a picture of the university she's graduating from. 

I know that's a lot to read. Any ideas would be appreciated.

3 replies
Marie0616 Posted 13 May 2015 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 4

I think the best you can do is sketch it out and show her how very 'busy' that cake will be! That's just too much written and drawn on one cake!

marya92 Posted 13 May 2015 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, it's quite a jumble of things to fit on a half sheet cake. At first she was only going to order a quarter sheet, which would have been impossible. I thought maybe a map or winding path theme with signposts along the way was my best bet. I really don't want to do this cake. :(

craftybanana2 Posted 13 May 2015 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 4

A writer? How about an ink pen with an inkwell or books?

Quote by @%username% on %date%