Cake Full Time Business At Home- Anyone?

Decorating By ckirkland Updated 28 Sep 2005 , 6:04pm by ckirkland

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 6

Just wonder if any of you actually do your cakes full time at of your home? Ever since I started my mom has been on me to do it full time at home at of my house (plus I hate my full time job now, althought it pays VERY well). I am just now getting my name out there to everyone and so far everyone loves it.
Also, on a different side, this girl I work with started doing cakes too and I really think she is trying to out do me. What a witch. But I think my cakes are doing better, b/c I actually care what the people think and buy the candles and stuff to go with the cakes. She doesn't and could care less if they liked her cake or not as long as she gets her money.
Well, guess I rambled on long enough.
Thanks, Crystal icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
ckirkland Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 6

just bumping up

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 6

I think it would be great if you could do it from home, but it is a tempermental business. You would have to be able to go from time to time without any business in case you don't get orders. I am lucky that I am a stay at home mom, so any income I make is just "icing on the cake" so to speak. We don;t relly on it to pay the bills, and the money I put in doesn't put us on a tighter budget. It would be quite stressful for me if I had to get orders in order to pay the light bill or something!

Berta

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 6

Just make sure you get all the "in home bakery" laws in writing.. you never know how strict your city is.. I have never looked into doing a home baker business, though my hubby says I need to let everyone know about my cakes. And about the "other girl". IMHO, just bless her and keep your head high.. Don't get down to her level, there are alot of people out there trying to make better things than others.. It's a matter of the peoples choice.. If someone mentions her name to you, just say something like "yes her cakes are nice". In the end you will be the better person. I've always been told never hate someone.. It takes alot of energy to hate someone.. Sometimes I catch myself being ugly and have to sit back and take deep breaths and let it go.. It feels better!
Good Luck!

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 6

Hi,
I wouldn't worry too much about the girl at your work. You don't need to compete with her. If she is only concerned about getting her money and not about her product or service level, her customers will realize it soon enough. If they are unhappy with her in anyway, they will go elsewhere.

I think there is something to be said as far as etiquitte is concerned. I have a friend who has bought cakes from one lady for several years, well, she asked if I would do a cake for her son for his birthday. I told her she should stay with her regular cake decorator. Not that I wouldn't LOVE the business, but I just don't want to interfere on someone else's turf...if you know what I mean. I would really hate it if that happened to me. Now, if my friend was unhappy with her lady, that would be a different story....

Just my opinion.

ckirkland Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thank all you for your support. Yal are such a great bunch of people. My head is up high and keeping up my good work and not worrying about her anymore. Also, about the business, I think I'll just keep doing them on the side and check the laws out in my area and maybe it could be something for the far futher.
Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%