Ombre On Fondant With Out Using Ruffles

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 12 May 2015 , 4:36pm by TheresaCarol

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 May 2015 , 2:07am
post #1 of 5

Can one do an ombre look on white fondant without using ruffles..How about an airbrush..anyone have pics?

4 replies
Frank68 Posted 12 May 2015 , 2:23am
post #2 of 5

Hi Kiddiekakes, I've done it with an airbrush but the design did have ruffles in it. I think you're asking if you can achieve the transition with an airbrush and you can:!50th%20Birthday%20/zoom/c18h4/image21ej 

It's actually a lot nicer than doing it with different shades of fondant because the transition is seamless. Are you using one color (dark to light) or are you using more? I would suggest you practice on cardboard/paper and have good control of your airbrush.

Good luck,

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 May 2015 , 2:28am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Frank...I was trying to eliminate doing ruffles at all because they take so much time...but I will do them if I have too...I was hoping to get the ombre look on smooth fondant but besides airbrushing I don't think there is another way...

Frank68 Posted 12 May 2015 , 2:32am
post #4 of 5

Sorry, the point I was trying to make was that I did the ombre look with an airbrush. The design of the cake had ruffles but I did not need them to create the ombre look (the fondant was all white prior to airbrushing). The technique is to lighten the spray as you go from the bottom to the top. It gets trickier if you need more than 1 color since the overlap can have undesirable effects when the colors mix.

TheresaCarol Posted 12 May 2015 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 5

Couldn't you use petal dust with a mop brush and brush on the fondant?  I haven't tried it but I would if I didn't have an airbrush and needed to do ombre on fondant.  Sorry I haven't tried it but I wanted to make the suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%