Sponge Cake Dummies

Business By desfox13 Updated 11 May 2015 , 11:10pm by pastrypet

desfox13 Posted 11 May 2015 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 2

Hi! Hope you all had a WONderful Mother's Day! I live and have a small bakery in Mexico. I don't speak Spanish very well, lol. I have been looking for cake dummies for examples of my work to be in my shop. While looking, I encountered SPONGE dummies, but only in one size. I LOVE COVERING THESE SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN FOAM! They are sooooo easy to work on. I hate the feel of foam and you have to put on buttercream to glue the fondant to the foam, any imperfections show through. I want to find more of these (this time on purpose, lol) in different sizes. Does anyone else like working with these? Do you have any suggestions? I asked a bakery supply once for dummies in my poor Spanish and they got these for me by mistake, now I want them on purpose and don't know what to ask for. After your fondant dries, you can remove the sponge from within (cause it squishes) and use it again. Any ideas? Thanks so much! 

Desert

Desert's Desserts

Guasave, Sinaloa, Mexico

1 reply
pastrypet Posted 11 May 2015 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 2

I don't know about Mexico, but there's a custom foam shop where I live that will cut shapes to order. I just called them and described the shape (I didn't tell them it would be a cake dummy) I "need" and they said "You mean a cylinder with straight sides and a specific height?" "Yes, maybe a couple of different diameters?"  "Sure, no problem, whatever you need."

They do mostly cushions for upholstered pieces, so you could try that kind of shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%