Do Clients Get Your Sketch?!

Business By tessholly1 Updated 19 May 2015 , 6:10pm by Jenn123

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 11 May 2015 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 8

I have read a few other 'sketch' conversations on here but nothing had quite answered my questions!! I can't seem to get my head around, when or if a client gets a sketch of their cake.. for example if i do a wedding consultation/tasting and tell the client I will email them with a quote etc I was thinking that once their deposit was paid I could send them a full colour sketch so they knew exactly what I was working towards but Iv now thought.. What would they even pay a deposit if they haven't seen what theirs cake will look like?! BUT if I send the sketch along with the quote Iv read some people say clients can then take your sketch and have it done cheaper somewhere else and steal your ideas!! Hope this makes sense, how do you conduct your consulations and sketches etc?

7 replies
BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 11 May 2015 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 8

I don't make sketches for the most part because I am not the best of sketch artists, but on the rare occasion where I do sit down & make a sketch, upon request I will scan it into my computer, and plaster my (mostly transparent) bakery name across the sketch (I use Picasa) before sending it on.  I feel you on the "steal the idea/picture/concept & get it done for cheaper elsewhere" issue, and I will only send sketches to certain clients for exactly that reason! 

Most of my brides come in with ideas culled from Pinterest (dang it!), and I usually just pin those photos to my own boards and take lots of notes.  I don't make sketches at that point because what's the point in re-creating it on paper (it's enough of a challenge sometimes to re-create it in cake...)?  I've got enough detail in the order that a sketch, by that point, is mostly unnecessary. 

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 11 May 2015 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 8

No, No, No! Once they pay their deposit and sign the contract the drawing is all theirs. Prior to that it belongs to me. The experience I have had in several industries is that once they have your drawing they go shopping with it. They are also welcome to the design if they wish to pay a 10% design fee (10% of the quote) and they can have it. I refuse to work on a design for hours or days only to lose the job because the client took my drawing to a competitor and got a lower quote for my work. HTH

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 May 2015 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 8

Quote by @dkltll on 4 hours ago

No, No, No! Once they pay their deposit and sign the contract the drawing is all theirs. Prior to that it belongs to me. The experience I have had in several industries is that once they have your drawing they go shopping with it. They are also welcome to the design if they wish to pay a 10% design fee (10% of the quote) and they can have it. I refuse to work on a design for hours or days only to lose the job because the client took my drawing to a competitor and got a lower quote for my work. HTH

Yep!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 12 May 2015 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, never hand over a sketch without some kind of retainer/deposit. Like mentioned people love to shop around these day's, so make sure you get paid for your design and sketching time.  

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 12 May 2015 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

Interesting thread as I give all of my drawings away without a deposit. I did run into two situations where the client took my drawings elsewhere and had the work done (horribly by the way) at a lower cost. I do this part time and don't feel comfortable charging for the designs but if I was a proper shop I most definitely would. 

I do always supply a sketch unless it's for family and friends so I don't get into a situation where they were expecting something different (colors, etc). I do take some liberties sometimes as not everything on paper translates well to an actual cake. 

Cheers,

Frank

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 May 2015 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 8

Once they give me their 50%  non-refundable retainer I am happy to give it to them.  Not until then.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 19 May 2015 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 8

I will do a quick sketch and email to help them visualize what I'm talking about... but they only take a few minutes to draw. If it was something really elaborate... I would show them in person and not give it away for free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%