Cupcakes

Baking By kswilli Updated 12 May 2015 , 3:46am by Marian64

kswilli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kswilli Posted 11 May 2015 , 10:53am
post #1 of 4

I am doing my grandsons wedding cake and cupcakes and I want to know how for in advance can I make and freeze my layers and cupcakes.  How do I store them in the freezer?

3 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 11 May 2015 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 4

Hi kswilli.  While you are waiting to see if anyone responds, I'd recommend doing a search of the forums.  I just typed "freezing cupcakes" in the Search window, then selected the Forums tab.  There are many, many helpful threads - over 15K to be exact.  While that is a lot of reading and research, it's worth the time as the threads have tons of advice on freezing and other things.

Here's the search results  http://www.cakecentral.com/newsearch?search=freezing+cupcakes&type=forum

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 May 2015 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 4

I usually bake and freeze for up to 2 weeks ahead of the date of the event.  But for my own use I have baked and frozen for up to 2 months and honestly found the cakes and cupcakes just fine.  Generally the rule of thumb is the smaller the cake the shorter the time in the freezer.

We are talking about a freezer and not the freezer top of a refrigerator.

For cupcakes I often freeze them in those plastic packages that have individual cups for each cupcake or in the actual baking tin completely enclosed in plastic wrap then tinfoil and then in a large bag.  I enclose cake layers in plastic wrap then foil and then I bag them.

For buttercream iced cupcakes, I have frozen them iced but this is with a buttercream with half to all butter as the fat.  I find the all shortening icings get dry when defrosted.

Defrost cakes in the original wraps at room temperature of about 70 F.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 12 May 2015 , 3:46am
post #4 of 4

I just took some little mini cupcakes to work that were in the freezer (top of refrigerator). Some were already frosted with buttercream others were not. They were just in a large air tight plastic container. They were in there a little over a week and everyone loved them. 

I would be more careful for the wedding. Just letting you know that it shouldn't be a problem.

I freeze all my cake layers in my deep freezer and have frozen them for  at least a month. Search on here there is a lot of information on how to freeze them on here.

Congrats to your grandson.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%