3-D Cake Help!!

Decorating By gibson Updated 3 Oct 2005 , 12:43pm by TinaRe

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 22

HI

I am going to do a practise cake for my son's 1st birthday and would like to do a 3-D dinosaur cake using the 3-D standup bear pan and use the small stand-up bear pan for his smash cake. This is my first time making this kind of cake and am very nervous! I haven't been able to find any pound cake in a box and was wondering if anyone has tried the recipe on this site for "durable cake for 3D and wedding cakes" and if you have does it have to be a Duncan Hines cake mix (I only have Betty Crocker) and does it have to be full fat sour cream? I would hate to waste all those ingredients....
All the advice I can get would be truly appreciated!! I really could use it!!
THANKS! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 22

I haven't tried that recipe but I have made 3d cakes. I use box mix with the pudding in it. I have used both DH and BC. I don't see any difference between them. I know some people have had theirs crumble with box mixes and even the durable recipe. I haven't had any problem with them falling apart, knock on wood!! I think if you be sure to follow the directions and let it cool like the directions say, you will be fine. I have read some put dowel rods in for support but I haven't had to try that yet.

Good Luck.

gibson Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 22

just anxious to try this so I'm bumping it!
Can only make it when my baby is taking his nap otherwise I am tripping over him or everything he pulls out of my cupboards lol!

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 22

I use BC with Dream Whip in the mix. And just follow the directions on the Dream Whip box. It makes really well for the 3D Bear pan. I used it just fine this way. It's in my pics if you want to look. Hope this helps. Plus if you are still uneasy about it, just use a dowel in the middle before you deco it.

caketime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketime Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 22

I either make a pound cake from scratch or use the mix with pudding already in it (practically the only time I use a mix). When making the stand-up cake a few things to remember (Squirrelly helped me with my first with these and it worked beautifully):
- make sure to thoroughly coat the inside of the pan as well as the heating core
- place the bear on a jelly roll pan that is covered with parchment paper and pour your batter 2/3 of the way in and place in the oven. I'd rather have batter overflowing than not enough in the bear.
- I make cupcakes with the extra batter and use that to plug the hole from the heating core as I find that's the easiest (I also put little treats such as m&m's, marshmallows, reeses inside the hole).
- When you are sure it's fully cooked (use a wooden skewer to check) let it stand for 25 minutes. Don't jiggle, wiggle, or try to undo any of it.
- After 25 minutes take off one side of the bear and let it cool for 20/25 minutes. Place that side back on and flip the bear over, take that side of and let it cool again for 20/25 minutes. Keep repeating this until it's fully cooled. Once it's fully cooled you can then take the heating core out.
- If I'm not decorating it right away I'll leave the heating core back in, place both sides on the bear, and wrap the whole thing in saran wrap to keep it fresh and from losing its shape.
- When getting ready to decorate try to make the bottom even, usually it already is, and start at the bottom and go up.

Hope that helps.

mmariamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmariamm Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 22

I made my first (and so far only - hope to get the chance to do one again soon) from scratch, no problem at all. Nice and moist, no crumbling or breakage. I think the trick might be to bake it just right, at let it cool as the directions tell you.

/mmariamm

gibson Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 22

Thank you all so much! It's good to know that a few different things work so if the first one doesn't turn out I'll try a different one! I respect all of your advice as all of you are wonderful decorators! His birthday isn't until the 17th of Oct so I have a lot of time to practise. Oh one last thing....could I freeze the cake until I am ready to decorate it? I have done this with all of my other cakes and it's great to work with a frozen cake, I actually let the cake cool for about 5-10 minutes then I wrap in saran wrap, foil and saran wrap again and put it in the freezer and the cake is sooooo moist! I get a lot of complimnets on how moist the cake is. I also don't add the oil and add just a little bit more water to the boxed cake mixes and it's very moist!! Don't know if I should freeze this one though? If anyone knows please let me know! THANK YOU!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 22

I did a dragon cake using the wondermold pan and a cupcake that was really easy to do. You could probably use the same idea and make it into a dinosaur... There's actually step by step instructions here.. http://www.shavkin.com/tamidem.html I did that article for Diane a few years ago, but the same steps are used for the dragon. If you don't have an airbrush, you could use the wilton can spray. I just thought I'd share in case this may help you...

Good luck!!
LL

gibson Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 22

Okay TamiAZ

That is gorgeous!!!!! I would love to try that one but I don't have an airbrush (would love to get one for christmas lol) and I don't have access to a Michaels store the closest one is five hours away icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I will keep it in my favourites for later.........I'm actually caught between doing a dinosaur or a 3D monkey because we always call him monkey and he truly is! If anyone has ideas for a 3D monkey cake using the standup bear pan I would love to see them! I saw the dinosaur in the Wilton magazine I think it might have been 2003? Not too sure....
LL

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 22

Hi gibson,

I use the 3-D pans all the time with no problem. I use either the Durable cake, or just add an extra egg and jello pudding powder to the mix and use milk instead of water, they both work great for me. If I am doing the cake for home or family I leave the heating core in for added support, if I am transporting it to someone else I remove the core and dowel it. The most important step with 3-D cake pan is to follow the cooling instructions and don't rush it and everything will be O.K.

Here is a picture of a monkey using that pan http://www.shavkin.com/stidham02a.jpg

This site has fabulous pictures of a multitude of uses for the 3-D Cuddly Bear Pan in its gallery http://www.cindascreativecakes.com/Home/homeframe.htm
The frog or the crocodile could easily be adjusted to make a dinosaur or dragon.

Good luck, I know you will do great !!! Be sure to post a picture when your done.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 22

Cool cake...

gibson Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 22

Could you use a skewer for a dowel....and do you just push it in the middle top of the cake all the way to the bottom? My skewers are skinny would that still be okay?
Sorry if these questions sound dumb! I always like to have a good idea of what I'm doing before I actually do it.....

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful help!

gibson Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:23pm
post #13 of 22

TinaRe

Did you just use one box of cake mix and one package of dream whip? Did that fill the whole pan?

Thank you Freddie! That monkey is waaaayyy tooooo cute! I might try that! Hopefully I'll be moving down your way soon (I'll only be 3 hours from Calgary) I'm very excited! I've been in Fort McMurray for way toooooo long.....can't wait to get to civilization especially closer to Calgary. I love Calgary pefer it over Edmonton any day!! Kiddiecakes, yourself and myself should all meet! That would be great! well for me anyways, especially because I am amazed at the talent you both have!

freddie Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 22

If it is sitting fairly secure and not much transporting is needed then a wooden skewer is fine but if you are moving it around much then I would use a wooden dowel or a wooden chopstick as I always seem to have them around.

freddie Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 22

Would love to meet up... Visited Fort McMurray once when coming down from the territories where I lived at the time. Where are you moving too? I have lived in most areas of Alberta, parts of BC and the Territories including Edmonton, which I liked but found Calgary much easier to navigate around when driving.

PM me if you are coming to the area !

gibson Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 22

I'm moving to Sparwood, B.C. very small mountain town...I'm originally from Elkford, B.C. and Sparwood is 20 minutes from there. In case you don't know it's 20 minutes from Fernie, B.C. and 20 minutes from the Crowsnest Pass. I've been in Fort Mac for almost 11 years have a baby now and would like to be closer to family....I will probably take you up on that.....if you don't mind..... icon_rolleyes.gif

freddie Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 22

What a coincidence, I lived in Sparwood, Fernie, and Bellevue in the early 80s when my X was working in the coal mines at the time. Camped around Elkford. Love the area as I am originally from Waterton area which I consider my peace place where my heart is. I return down there several times a year and have a brother in Pincher Creek. I am actually heading to Pincher in a couple of weeks.

I also moved back south as I had a small child and wanted to be sure he grew up with a close family base. He is now 18 and I don't regret my decision at all. I do return to Yellowknife every 3 or 4 years to visit.

So I would love to hear from you.

Guess this is getting off the Topic, will PM you my email address.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 5:49am
post #18 of 22

doesnt super walmart ..sell the wilton sprays in the cake mix section ...maybe you could try this instaed of the airbrush

TinaRe Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 1:17pm
post #19 of 22

[quote="gibson"]TinaRe

Did you just use one box of cake mix and one package of dream whip? Did that fill the whole pan?

I do usually use 1 mix with one dream whip. The dream whip thickens up the batter. Though most of the time I might use 2 mixes and 2 dream whip. IT's better to be safe than sorry! And what you have left over jsut make cupcakes and send them to school with the kids or to DH work! LOL I hope this helps~

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 1:49pm
post #20 of 22

If you don't have dowels, try using a straw as a dowel, they give good support, probably better than a skewer. HTH

I am wondering why you don't add the oil to the cake mix, it would add moisture and substance to the cake. I always add the Dream Whip (only I buy Kroger's brand...just as good and considerably less expensive), 1/3 cup oil, 4 eggs, milk, and sometimes sour cream to my cake mixes. Janice

gibson Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 10:17pm
post #21 of 22

I knew I forgot to add something! I did add 1/3 cup oil.

TinaRe

I used one cake mix + one pkg dream whip. I mixed up the dream whip seperately and I mixed the cake mix seperately than added both together. Did I do that correctly? It filled the pan almost to the top.....a little more than 3/4's full. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong. icon_cry.gif I'll have to look in the stores again for a pound mix, but I have looked in all of them and just can't find one.
Maybe I'll try it without sour cream like tc said.

veejaytx,

do you add the water as well or substitute it for the milk?

Thank you everyone, you have all been very helpful!!

TinaRe Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 12:43pm
post #22 of 22

[quote="gibson"]I knew I forgot to add something! I did add 1/3 cup oil.

TinaRe

I used one cake mix + one pkg dream whip. I mixed up the dream whip seperately and I mixed the cake mix seperately than added both together. Did I do that correctly? It filled the pan almost to the top.....a little more than 3/4's full. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong. icon_cry.gif I'll have to look in the stores again for a pound mix, but I have looked in all of them and just can't find one.
Maybe I'll try it without sour cream like tc said.

quote]

You are supposed to follow the directions on the Dream WHip box for Dream Cake. This means you use 1 box mix, 1 env. of Dream Whip, 4 eggs and 1 cup water. Then beat on med. speed for 4 - 7 mins. It will be a thick batter. Ignore the directions on the cake mix box all together!! Sorry that I wasnt' more clear on this before icon_redface.gif Try it this way and you won't be disappointed! Sorry once again! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%