Please Give Me Your Opinion-Frustrated!

Business By Lyoshka Updated 10 May 2015 , 8:08pm by costumeczar

Lyoshka Posted 10 May 2015 , 12:52am
post #1 of 7

HI all! hoping to get your opinions on a situation.  A customer ordered a cake from Pinterest.  We changed from one tier to two.  I delivered the cake today and they were disappointed and simply put, quite rude.  I modified how the buildings looked on a cake, which they didn't like.  I started saying, " I should have cleared the modification with you..." and before i even finished the sentence, the husband, quite condescendingly, said, "YES, yes you should have.  It's not at all what we expected.  Have you seen the picture?"   The change of how an element looked is on me-i usually ALWAYS run it by a customer, but this time, since i thought i was upgrading them to a better looking set up, I didn't check (too swamped).  So i was feeling all sorts of bad, but the general rude disposition from the first minute we started talking prevented me from saying, "What do you want me to do?" because damn, I spent A LOT of time on the cake.  

Then she started saying how the windows are white and not yellow... and how my grey (bricks) is a different shade than in the picture (at this point, I'm thinking, really?????), and the name is not exactly like in the picture (positioned on a different spot and different color)-but she never said that she wanted it exactly like the picture.

Then the husband said smth to the effect of, "Too late to get another cake", so they paid the remaining 50%.  I was ticked and upset at such treatment, so I took my money and left.  Now that i've had time to process, I still think they were rude, but I wonder... should i be offering them some kind of a refund.  I'd love to post their pic and the cake i made, but can't find where to attach pic? help?

6 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 10 May 2015 , 1:47am
post #2 of 7

#1 problem I see is a "custom cake". So every detail, is something that they choose. How you "upgraded" is not an option. The key is "custom". So if the discussion and contract reflect that, the more "exact" the details are, the better.

#2 Not including a disclaimer about a "copy" or "artistic representation" of a different caker artist's work is also a problem. As you said this cake was from "pintrest". 

I am sure you worked hard on it, but if that was not what they ordered, then it is not right. 

Natka81 Posted 10 May 2015 , 2:19am
post #3 of 7

Can you post a picture?  Maybe even both pictures : your cake and the pinterest cake that you got from customer.

Lyoshka Posted 10 May 2015 , 2:24am
post #4 of 7

How do I post pictures to this thread? would be a lot easier to make my points....

I didn't change the design, but how the element looked. they just expected an exact copy, and it wasn't-and we miscommunicated, quite clearly.

How would you word a disclaimed about "artistic representation"?

johnson6ofus Posted 10 May 2015 , 2:48am
post #5 of 7

I think I read others use language like: "Customer provided a photo that will be used for inspiration. Baker is not the original creator of the provided photo and cannot, and does not guarantee a "copy" but rather a similar artistic representation. This includes colors, forms, decorative elements and structure."

Lyoshka Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:18am
post #6 of 7

Natka, would love to post both pics, but don't see a way to post a pic to the thread?

costumeczar Posted 10 May 2015 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 7

If they ordered it from a specific design and you changed it without clearing it with them, then that isn't what they ordered, so they were in their rights to be snippy. They were rude, but at least they paid you for it. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned and clear any changes in the future, or make sure people know that you might do a version of their picture but not an exact copy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%